Notices

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I've made a video about maepad:
maemo Programs: MaePad for N900
You can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlwHuVaH4BM

Thanks for watching!

Thanks to Thomas Perl for this awesome program!

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2010-02-07 at 20:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
I've made a video about maepad:
maemo Programs: MaePad for N900
Thanks for the nice review. It's nice to see someone else going through the program, so I can fix problems that I did not really see (the "Delete" button is going to be renamed to "Delete memo", and "Clear" (Löschen) is going to be renamed to "Clear contents" (Inhalt leeren)). I also should revisit the German translation, as it's incomplete again due to all the changes since the last translation run.

I already wondered why the arrow key shortcuts weren't working - they should be assigned to the node view, not the overview, and I think it's even better to have them in the AppMenu. Right now, I've simply assigned the shortcuts to the right view, but I should eventually add check buttons to the AppMenu (for better discoverability - I guess you only discovered that by accident or looked into the source ).

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I just want to tell thp that I liked PadMae better than MaePad, but it is probably just the associations I have with the former name

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I liked PadMae better than MaePad
I'm sure I can do something for you there.. just enter the surname of Natalie Portman's character in lowercase in the main screen of the next release

Last edited by thp; 2010-02-08 at 01:46.

really simple and nice application. i am gonna use it for a simple todo list using checklist and see how it works out.

MaePad 1.1 "The Large Hadron Collision" is on its way to Extras-Devel. Here's a quick run-down of the changes since 1.0:
  • New shape tool icons by Claes Norin
  • Menu items in memo view renamed
  • Square and fill options for Sketch nodes in AppMenu
  • Natalie Portman mode (for qole)
  • Fix "no node content when new database is created" (bug 5113)
  • Remove eraser-specific brush size (bug 5118)
  • Don't open first node when opening a database
  • Select correct items for longpress in main view
  • Direct editing of checklist (touch to toggle check, longpress to edit text)
  • Updated German translation (after exactly 2 years and 4 days

I consider this release ready for end users, and will be promoting MaePad 1.1 to Extras-Testing. Thanks for all the feedback, bug reports and feature requests so far. Please note that I'm not going to implement features where other, better solutions already exists (that's mostly for features that Xournal has and for the Wiki-like features that Conboy has).

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
Text input is in other ports of Xournal. Aniello says that he is planning on adding that functionality in future versions of the n900 port.

However, I don't know if Xournal text input is as optimized for note-taking as it is in Maemopad+...
Indeed, text input on Xournal is quite limited and I was thinking of changing the input experience. Right know when you try to insert text into Xournal, you do it right on the canvas in a WYSIWYG manner.
Doesn't really work well in Xournal, so I was thinking about showing a Textarea dialog where you can insert you text and it'll be added as an object.
I am thinking aloud here
I shall move to my own thread

Anyway, Xournal was never intended to be a text editor.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Southern Germany
Originally Posted by thp View Post
  • Natalie Portman mode (for qole)
WTH is Natalie Portman mode? Do we get a pencil to draw her hair style as in Star Wars?

Please note that I'm not going to implement features where other, better solutions already exists (that's mostly for features that Xournal has and for the Wiki-like features that Conboy has).
That is a rather vague expression as xournal and conboy both allow text formatting as well as MaePad does- so there we go eliminating formatting

Seriously there are features which make an outliner-like application productive and which will be missed if they are not available- like searching, linking etc. Otherwise it drastically limits its application scenarios.
I understand that interlinking of note items is not the basic intention of MaePad. However entering a phone number or web address should be converted into a link so it can be quickly accessed via phone app or web browser- this is such a scenario. How often do we quickly write down web addresses and phone numbers so we have it at hand if needed? Click the link from the note and there you go.
I believe MaePad will be mostly used as a sophisticated notes application so why not give it the full usefulness it deserves

Originally Posted by ofels View Post
WTH is Natalie Portman mode? Do we get a pencil to draw her hair style as in Star Wars?
See http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=84 (I don't want to spoil too much, keep it fun!)

That is a rather vague expression as xournal and conboy both allow text formatting as well as MaePad does- so there we go eliminating formatting
No features that are already implemented will be eliminated - except if they are really hard to maintain or conflict with other goals. Also that was about what I was going to implement, if somebody steps up, and provides clean patches for features, I can of course include them

However entering a phone number or web address should be converted into a link so it can be quickly accessed via phone app or web browser- this is such a scenario. How often do we quickly write down web addresses and phone numbers so we have it at hand if needed? Click the link from the note and there you go.
We can talk about adding a button to the menu for text notes that will give you a list of detected phone numbers and URLs that you can click. Or maybe it's going to be like in the X-Terminal (if you select something, it will try to detect if it's a URL, and pop up a menu which allows you to go to the URL). What I'm not going to do is dig into the wpeditor library (the library that provides the rich text editor) and add new stuff to it. But again, feel free to step up and provide patches

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Southern Germany
Originally Posted by thp View Post
See http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=84 (I don't want to spoil too much, keep it fun!)
Ah, thanks, here we go...

No features that are already implemented will be eliminated - except if they are really hard to maintain or conflict with other goals. Also that was about what I was going to implement, if somebody steps up, and provides clean patches for features, I can of course include them
So this only affects future features to be implemented? Like searching? Sorry, could not resist here. Just wanted to emphasize, that features have been implemented in the other apps because they are useful for in the scope people are using them. I wouldn't want to have features excluded just because some other program already has them - if we can not see a usefulness for those or nobody will use them at all (besides me ) this is a good reason of course.

We can talk about adding a button to the menu for text notes that will give you a list of detected phone numbers and URLs that you can click. Or maybe it's going to be like in the X-Terminal (if you select something, it will try to detect if it's a URL, and pop up a menu which allows you to go to the URL).
This is perfect for me. It does not spoil user experience much and gives a quick access to the information required. Well thought.

What I'm not going to do is dig into the wpeditor library (the library that provides the rich text editor) and add new stuff to it.
Fair enough. It is totally acceptable that you would like to concentrate on your baby.

But again, feel free to step up and provide patches
Fair enough also. Though I promised myself not to step back into C and Python coding. Plus I am struggling with my non-existing spare time to get some minutes for my own project. Or just seconds
So I have to accept what is delivered

The Following User Says Thank You to ofels For This Useful Post: