Hello,
I live in brazil and I will be going to a trip in Europe. I will be visiting Italy, France, Portugal and Turkey.
I plan on getting a N900 but I don't know if I will be able to use its potential in brazil. I'm really a newbe when talking about gadgets. I would like to know what should I look for(I mean what info I need to get from the mobile phone brand) to know if everything will work down here.

I got a sony ericsson x10 mini, which I hate by the way.
GPRS Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32 - 48 kbps
EDGE Class 10, 236.8 kbps
3G HSDPA; HSUPA
So I guess if the N900 is compatible with that it should work fine on my plan. If I'm wrong, what should I be looking for?

Also got an unlimited internet plan but I don't know what type or what ever it is.
I tried to get informed at the call center from my phone operator but they seem to know as much as I do.

I just wanna know what to look for, just give the direction and I will do some research.

Also if anyone could give me a hint on the best place to get one in store(I wont stay long in the same place, so buying over the internet is not an option) in one of this places I would be very happy. But thats not the point of the post.

Thank you a lot,

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Make sure you get one with the dedicated up and down arrow keys in the keyboard, there are some countries out there that don't got dedicated keys for those because of extra letters in the alphabet

I'll keep an eye for that, thanks

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Check to see that 3G service with the carriers where you are using the N900 use the WCDMA bands enabled in the N900. For example, in the US T-Mobile and Cincinatti Bell use 1700/2100 but most other US carriers do not so WCDMA 3G doesn't work on AT&T.

Band I appears to work for Europe, Brazil and Asia. The N900 has
WCDMA Band I (2100)
WCDMA Band IV (1700/2100)
WCDMA Band VIII (900)

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
If your Brazilian operator is Claro you'll not get 3G with the N900, they only have the 850MHz band.

The Following User Says Thank You to floffe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
Check to see that 3G service with the carriers where you are using the N900 use the WCDMA bands enabled in the N900. For example, in the US T-Mobile and Cincinatti Bell use 1700/2100 but most other US carriers do not so WCDMA 3G doesn't work on AT&T.

Band I appears to work for Europe, Brazil and Asia. The N900 has
WCDMA Band I (2100)
WCDMA Band IV (1700/2100)
WCDMA Band VIII (900)
I have checked and TIM(provider) uses 2100 where I live so I guess i'm good. Thank you for the help : )