Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Hi jolo,

Is this a definite yes or no answer yet? Do you know for sure that negotiations are still progressing?
Many users are asserting it's too late (if an arrangement hasn't already been sorted) for the binary to be included.

Thank-you.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-23 at 15:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
If Nokia is so stupid to not realize the N900's biggest selling point was its Flash Mozilla browser, that users in the MeeGo target market want desktop browsing and not mobile, and how Fennec's UI and performance was weak against MicroB, I hold little hope for Nokia's future.

The N9 should've shipped with the best web browser in the game, but that's still the N900's territory. Flash is a necessity, or I'll just move from all these ******* mobile OSes and go back to Windows until Windows8 materializes. Nokia put a damper on mobile Linux for no reason.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Palo Alto, CA
There is no definite answer yet for Firefox on the N9. We are still discussing how to do it. I am positive, but nothing definitive yet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jolo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jolo View Post
There is no definite answer yet for Firefox on the N9. We are still discussing how to do it. I am positive, but nothing definitive yet.
What so there's some doubt over whether Fennec will be included/tested/optimised... let alone flash?

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-24 at 05:52.

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
If Nokia is so stupid to not realize the N900's biggest selling point was its Flash Mozilla browser, that users in the MeeGo target market want desktop browsing and not mobile, and how Fennec's UI and performance was weak against MicroB, I hold little hope for Nokia's future.

The N9 should've shipped with the best web browser in the game, but that's still the N900's territory. Flash is a necessity, or I'll just move from all these ******* mobile OSes and go back to Windows until Windows8 materializes. Nokia put a damper on mobile Linux for no reason.
What's wrong with the N9's webkit2 based browser* apart from no flash?
It 'wipes the floor' with other mobile browsers in every metric I've seen it tested against.

Also I've seen nothing to suggest MicroB is "still" superior to Fennec.
There's been 'a lot of water under the bridge' since MicroB's release with the N800.
I doubt it's evolved internally @Nokia at the same rate mainstream Fennec has over the past few years.
Hence why they're going with it, albeit with some "tweaks" perhaps

Plus MicroB used the GTK-based Hildon API/widgets (not XUL like most FF brethren)
But Harmattan is primarily Qt-based nowadays...
Then again they could've always done a re-write using Qt.
But I guess that's what they've done in the form of their webkit2 based browser.

I think we'll find the Fennec they "may" include, will have some twks to make more part of the overall UI.
Not to mention flash.....

*Is there an official name for it yet? Make it something cute/cool!

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-24 at 06:21.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Hi jolo,

Is this a definite yes or no answer yet? Do you know for sure that negotiations are still progressing?
Many users are asserting it's too late (if an arrangement hasn't already been sorted) for the binary to be included.

Thank-you.
Jolo any updates?
Thank-you!

Originally Posted by jolo View Post
What so there's some doubt over whether Fennec will be included/tested/optimised... let alone flash?

The application development is moving forward in a good way, business discussions are also positive. I don't have a planned date, as we need to get the implementations certified, but I am feeling positive about this.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jolo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Fennec is ok but slow as molasses too at the same time. If i would find a way to make sure that i could avoid being served the mobile versions of sites _every_ time, i would 'get rid' of MicroB and solely use Opera instead. Even the Opera file dialog(s) and VKB are way better IMHO.

WRT to Fennec, what are you using? We don't have an approved or even unapproved version of Fennec for the N9, so no matter what, you will have bad experience, if you are talking about the N9.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jolo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Fennec is ok but slow as molasses too at the same time. If i would find a way to make sure that i could avoid being served the mobile versions of sites _every_ time, i would 'get rid' of MicroB and solely use Opera instead. Even the Opera file dialog(s) and VKB are way better IMHO.
We have little idea what a Fennec tweaked for Harmattan will be like.*
Plus it's mainly there as a general purpose/kitchen-sink browser.
The integrated Webkit2 based one will be the primary....

*i.e. there may be be some quite significant tweaks.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-08-03 at 06:17.

Tags
desperation, flash dance