Notices

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
If I'm understanding this correctly, running a 1:2 duty cycle (for example 50ms flash duration and 50ms strobe pause) at 320mA would be equivalent to an average current of 160mA (3.2 times the maximum continuous current). So probably not good to run that cycle for a long time, correct?
Yes exactly.
Also bear in mind the chip will allow flashes of upto a scary 500mA.
I am glad it has been pinned down to 320mA here with only a push and hold type option.

Another safeguard that could be used is a maximum strobe duration QTimer for each mA/pulse value. It would be best if we had some more knowledge of the LED's limits.

Personally I have the strobe option on 30ms pulse, 200ms pause, and 215mA, I wouldn't suggest using that for a long period of time.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
The ADP1653 data sheet shows two different modes for flash timing -- one of them is a set of 16 timeout values, ranging from 54.6 msec to 820 msec in multiples of 54.6 msec. The other is to keep the flash lit for as long as a particular input is held high, up to a maximum of 820 msec. As the supported V4L2 timing values go from "0-500" (and appear to be millisecond values), I was guessing that the second mechanism was in use, not the first...

In any case, I'll try to reconfigure the strobe controls to be a bit more cautious. Setting up the pause in terms of a duty cycle, rather than a raw timing value, sounds like a good idea for one thing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
All the torch apps have a nice option to start from status menu. Would it be possible to have such thing here or will this mess up the app?
I think I could do that; I've never tried to play with the status menu before, though, so I'll have to figure out how it's done.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Yes exactly.
Also bear in mind the chip will allow flashes of upto a scary 500mA.
I am glad it has been pinned down to 320mA here with only a push and hold type option.
Yeah, the supposed V4L2 limit is 320mA; however, the "strobe-test" code on this page was using a setting of 25 (which would be 410mA), so I don't know that 320mA is the absolute limit. But I'm not going to chance it...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yeah, the supposed V4L2 limit is 320mA; however, the "strobe-test" code on this page was using a setting of 25 (which would be 410mA), so I don't know that 320mA is the absolute limit. But I'm not going to chance it...
I was speaking of the ADP1653.
This doesn't mean the V4L2 or LED's limits match I agree.

http://www.analog.com/en/power-manag...s/product.html

http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Hardware_Flash_Torch

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Is there also a red LED in the camera flash? Can't remember if I have seen this or not on my N900. If there is then a red LED flashlight mode might be useful for low light situations where white would cause night blindness.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
- The red (indicator) LED is now supported. You can now select "Use Indicator LED as Torch", after which it will be used instead of the flash LEDs for all torch functionality (normal torch, SOS, Morse code, etc.) Also, you can vary its brightness, with seven levels going from a low of 2.5 mA to a high of 17.5 mA.
I think you're late :P

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Is there also a red LED in the camera flash? Can't remember if I have seen this or not on my N900. If there is then a red LED flashlight mode might be useful for low light situations where white would cause night blindness.
Actually, i think they're talking about the front led (notifications).

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by saponga View Post
Actually, i think they're talking about the front led (notifications).
No, about rear LEDs. There are two high power white LEDs used as a camera flash (only controllable as a unit, not individually) and one low power red indicator LED used to indicate that video is recording. Lanterne can be switched to control either the white or the red LED.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Spot on!

(Except that I like to think of 50 ms on, 50 ms off as a 1:1 duty cycle. 1:2 would be 50 ms on, 100 ms off. To avoid confusion, it is better to use percentage terms as per this Wikipedia article.)
Thank you, pichlo. As I was writing my question I actually was wondering if the format was <on_time>:<off_time> or <on_time>:<cycle_time>.

Tags
flashlight, lanterne, morse code, nokia n900, strobe light, torch