Active Topics

I am doing some research right now on the best mobile linux device I can hook up a web cam too. Basically all I need is a USB host and linux. I have looked into gumstix and they are exactly what I want for the size and features but I am looking for any other advice.

I thought about my friends N800 and I think that is right in my price range and has a nice screen and keyboard. So questions arise, does the N800 have a USB host by default? Does it supply enough power for a web cam? Could I use a USB hub to hook up a USB GPS device as well?

With an appropriately wired adapter, the USB port in its default USB OTG mode works fine. If you don't use a correct adapter, it's necessary to make a simple software tweak to enable host mode. I don't know how much power a typical web cam requires, but powered hubs are always an option. (A powered hub also gets you a hub, and USB GPSes definitely work.)

I am looking forward to testing my buddies. Thanks!

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
power will be a problem
PLEASE use the Wiki

I am already looking for battery powered USB hubs, I think that may help the issue of powering a device. I have a plan now

Also noticed you have a wiki... makes me feel so noobish with pages like this.

Tags
n800, usb, usb host, webcam