Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Bottom line - from a hardware standpoint it IS a phone, no matter what you call it in the end.

With the 770 and N8x00 it was a different story (larger screen, no GSM radio).

Good luck making a phone call with it out of the box.

Calling a device that uses a cellular modem capability to interact via IP a phone would be like calling an ATM, a gasoline pump, or a remote cash register that verifies c/c info a phone...

Amarok is unfortunately MASSIVE in terms on requirements, you won't be seeing it on mobile devices unless somebody does some serious slimming on it.
I would not recommend it for the mobile but as an alternative to iTunes in terms of organicing und synching music...

Regards,
Glasswalker

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Amarok is unfortunately MASSIVE in terms on requirements, you won't be seeing it on mobile devices unless somebody does some serious slimming on it.
I was talking in terms of desktop connectivity for the phone/tablet. I wouldn't want it on the phone.

As it stands, Nokia doesn't have desktop clients/applications to go along with this product. And they don't have compelling reasons for the average Joe Sixpack to use their upcoming phone.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Good luck making a phone call with it out of the box.

Calling a device that uses a cellular modem capability to interact via IP a phone would be like calling an ATM, a gasoline pump, or a remote cash register that verifies c/c info a phone...
Not exactly. This device has an audio subsystem and has a user interface with a screen and buttons, has a GSM voice capable radio, runs on batteries (=autonomous) and is pocketable. That's a hardware description of a fully fledged mobile phone right there. All your examples lack one of those components Leaving out voice capability of such a unit makes the Rover a tablet with a massive identity crisis

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Not exactly. This device has an audio subsystem and has a user interface with a screen and buttons, has a GSM voice capable radio, runs on batteries (=autonomous) and is pocketable. That's a hardware description of a fully fledged mobile phone right there. All your examples lack one of those components Leaving out voice capability of such a unit makes the Rover a tablet with a massive identity crisis

Ya mean something like this?

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
While I enjoyed your notion of a model N900-O for old people, and I realize that not every "disability" can be catered to by a commercial enterprise, 60% of Americans are farsighted. (Since I haven't read that fast-food or gasoline-guzzling are causes of farsightedness, I would suppose that this figure is more-or-less accurate worldwide or at least in Europe, as well.)
How can 60% of the people be far-sighted? Wouldn't the majority of people have normal vision? If 60% of people were far-sighted, it wouldn't be called far-sighted, but normal!

This is like the "All the children in Lake Woebegon are above average" statement.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
How can 60% of the people be far-sighted? Wouldn't the majority of people have normal vision? If 60% of people were far-sighted, it wouldn't be called far-sighted, but normal!

This is like the "All the children in Lake Woebegon are above average" statement.
Err... no You're far-sighted if you cannot focus on objects close to your eyes. It's not a relation to an 'average' dioptry (unlike height, which defines tall and short as a relation to an average height).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Err... no You're far-sighted if you cannot focus on objects close to your eyes. It's not a relation to an 'average' dioptry (unlike height, which defines tall and short as a relation to an average height).
You're probably right, but...

Isn't "cannot focus on objects close to your eyes" a relative statement? Can you focus on objects one angstrom from your eyes?

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ London
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
You're probably right, but...

Isn't "cannot focus on objects close to your eyes" a relative statement? Can you focus on objects one angstrom from your eyes?
That's a valid sentiment, however we can define reasonable expectations in this case, set based on measurements like arm length. In this case, being able to focus on items held in the hand might be the benchmark. Being able to focus on items a millimetre or less from your eye would not be useful since humans (on average ) do not have the motor skills required to consistently place and hold such an item.

Just like a person can be both average weight (in a group of other people) and overweight (from a human health point of view).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qviri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Quim thank you for that information. Can you similarly comment on the n900 rumours according to the OP as cited in mobile crunch?
I have zero interest nurturing rumours on future Nokia devices but it can't hurt to help translating to English what some bloke is clearly saying in Spanish in the beginning of a video.

Engadget was already hot on this video so I thought it would be useful to spend 2 Sunday afternoon minutes posting the basic clarification, not even as Nokia employee but just as a Spanish speaker. Much better than finding 200 totally off-the-road posts on Monday morning.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile