Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
One of those almost rip-off everything that Nokia put in the market, even the name was partially ripped-off
That's one of the reasons I was fishing. Do Nokia consider these Asian companies real competitors when their products are limited to China/... which are awash with copies? Or are Nokia's "competitors" those typical names we'd expect: Apple, Palm, Google, Microsoft, Archos etc.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
That's one of the reasons I was fishing. Do Nokia consider these Asian companies real competitors when their products are limited to China/... which are awash with copies? Or are Nokia's "competitors" those typical names we'd expect: Apple, Palm, Google, Microsoft, Archos etc.
China and surrounding country's constitute a very big market, but IMO the big competitors are other players, like some of the referred above, these, like Nokia, sell their products in a global scale. And don't forget that some big company also produce rip-off's

Last edited by VDVsx; 2009-07-09 at 10:38.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
China and surrounding country's constitute a very big market, but IMO the big competitors are other players, like some of referred above, these, like Nokia, sell their products in a global scale. And don't forget that some big company also produce rip-off's
China is the **biggest** market, don't forget most people in the world speak Mandarin (or dialect of) aka Chinese

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
I would be interested to know how much Qt stuff
Symbian and Maemo will share.
The interest is to align on the API level. Then each platform will
push its own identity and strengths based on the target users and form
factors of the products released. This means that UI and pre-installed
application might differ, and in some cases even significantly.

Will we get a glimpse of it before it is released?
Yes. The Fremantle API and Application Framework UI have been exposed
much before than in any previous release and we expect only to improve
the "release soon & often" principle in Harmattan. The announcement this
week even before a Fremantle final release is just a sign of this
direction.

Will there be any community input regarding the new UI?
Sure, we expect to improve and evolve based on the feedback received through various channels, the Maemo community being one of them. I agree with Jaffa that there is a lot of expertise out there and we could benefite more and better from it. However, I hope you also agree that it's sometimes too easy to find that "expertise" lobbying and it takes time and energy only to follow up and separate noise from signal. But this is what development teams do all the time, so nothing new here.

Another side effect we have seen is that showing UI concepts soon also confuse many users and even developers expecting what is actually a complete launch. So it's not that easy to fulfill everybody's expectations.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kate View Post
OpenGL module should be there in extras-devel if not, please
report error to bugzilla.
Just to let interested people know, good Nokia folks just resolved this -> from today QtOpenGL really is the in Fremantle extras-devel repo.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Weird question, which I'm curious about because of Mer:

Will a/the future window manager / Qt-based Maemo desktop still be using libmatchbox2 for window management?

The reason why we ask is because Clutter is noted as no longer a major part of Harmattan and libmatchbox2 is using this extensively for one of the rendering modes. Should we spend time looking further into libmatchbox2 or is this a dead end regarding Maemo desktops?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Video of my keynote on Maemo Harmattan and Qt at Gran Canaria Desktop Summit http://bit.ly/10meEp

For what I know/remember, Matchbox is currently maintained only by the Maemo team since not even the OpenedHand (now Intel) developers that started it are putting hours on it. It won't be in Harmattan and I wonder whether anybody else will keep its development.

PS: About to finish my holidays. Back to the office next Monday.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
For what I know/remember, Matchbox is currently maintained only by the Maemo team [...] It won't be in Harmattan
That's interesting, any idea what's going to replace it? According to slide 6 Harmattan will keep Xorg so presumably it'll need a window manager.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
That's interesting, any idea what's going to replace it? According to slide 6 Harmattan will keep Xorg so presumably it'll need a window manager.
Look at Qtablet and such to see that a Maemo-like WM is fairly easy to accomplish.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Look at Qtablet and such to see that a Maemo-like WM is fairly easy to accomplish.
QTablet uses qlwm.