Friendly eeeeeeo to you all!

I kept an eye quite often at the forums, few times wanted to ask but then found already the answers.
This time perhaps I've found the answers but probably I don't understand them correctly.

So I have this N900 here in my hands, Version 21.2011.38-1.

I have to admit, I do not work much with the N900, I mostly use it as a backup internet connection to reach my workplace network when I'm working outside.

So up to now I always used the same style, the same apps, and that was it.

I always was interested about what my mopho would feel like if I'd keep it up to date a bit more but always was scared doing heavier loads on it.
Last Year I installed Nitdroid, this time I'd like to try CSSU.

From what I understood, CSSU is somewhat a patch for maemo, integrating more functions, settings and visual effects for the UI usage and otherwise allows updates to older and newer apps.

So yesterday I installed it. CSSU 21.2011.38-1Smaemo6.1 Stable. I was really happy when I rebooted the handy and it was still working .

But I do not see any kind of difference. The only addition is the "About Community SSU" in the Settings window.
I watched videos where they show the portrait mode and so on.
I tried to reboot a few times, and also tried to install it again, but HAM says it's already installed.

Then I asked myself, if I'd have to install CSSU Thumb but while investigating more about CSSU Thumb I came to the point that this was something different again.

So here I am, begging on my knees - wanted to know - what did I do - what shall I do?

The Following User Says Thank You to SnowSky For This Useful Post:
You should have a new powerkey menu entry (the menu that drops down when you shortly press the powerkey) that has the CSSU logo and read CSSU features. There you can enable and disable the landscape and other features. This is at least in the CSSU-Testing based Thumb version that I have in my system.

Basically the CSSU-stable is the rock-solid and most stable version that has the features and tweaks that have been tried and tested the most and I think contains mainly fixes to the bugs that Nokia left unfixed in the last firmware. You could say it is the CSSU you should install on your mothers phone. It is in the version 6.1 as you see, and the CSSU-testing that is bit more bleeding edge is already at least in the version 8.3.

Eventually when the features and tweaks are tested enough and the devs feel that they are rock-solid stable they are introduced to the stable version.

In my own opinion the CSSU-testing is as solid as the stable and because of that I think that many everyday user use CSSU-testing on their phones. There are also many happy user using the Thumb version of the CSSU-testing like me and feel confident that the phone works as it should.

Check the changelogs for the CSSU and CSSU-stable and see the difference. It is ofcourse safer to remain on the stable, but I and many other user have installed the Testing version and continue happily using our phones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Kossuth View Post
You should have a new powerkey menu entry
CSSU Feature isn't installed with CSSU, you need to install the CSSU Features Python application for that.

Basically the CSSU-stable is the rock-solid and most stable version
Exactly.

In my own opinion the CSSU-testing is as solid as the stable and because of that I think that many everyday user use CSSU-testing on their phones. There are also many happy user using the Thumb version of the CSSU-testing like me and feel confident that the phone works as it should.
I wouldn't recommend Testing to anyone not capable of providing good quality bug reports and able to used basic diagnostic tools.

Please read.

http://wiki.maemo.org/CSSU

and all of is linked pages.

CSSU Stable is designed to look exactly like Stock Maemo, you will only notice the features if you enable them.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Thank you both for your answers!

I installed the CSSU Configuration tool and the orientation Applet,
they are very nice (especially while driving a car and trying to initiate a phone call (hands free once calling)).

Are there other little Apps possible to use after CSSU installation?