Notices

The iphone does have a few mkxing apps, one that looks the most promising is Touch DJ. It looks pretty good but not quite what i would hope for.

I would buy this app if it had already been made, but noone has so hopefully by coming up with a good interface and concept i can help start it.

Everything has to start somewhere.

Here's the mix i made, i had some trouble with exporting it, it had some unusual errors, so i had to do it twice.

http://www.letsmix.com/mix/65110

This is using just the crossfader, eq and loops. No effects, just mixing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s13n1 For This Useful Post:
Ive made some progress with the interface design.

The file browser is looking good and i think it will funtion really well and allow really quick yet simple file searching.

To load a track, you just hold your finger or stylus on either load buttons for whichever deck you want to load into and when the browser pops up, just scroll to the desired track and release your finger. To navigate quicker, mix with the qwerty exposed and press letters to scroll instantly to tracks beginning with that letter.

I think the n900's full qwerty allows for more functions without cluttering the screen. A HUGE advantage over other phones.

I'll describe the functions on the interface so it gives you a better understanding of how it all works.

Two sliders on the right control BPM's for each track. Depending on which deck is master, the BPM for the slave track will follow the master bpm.

The big slider on the left is the cross fader. The decks dont have individual volume controls, so use the crossfader wisely and you dont need them. Hopefully we can impliment some normalizing so theres no big volume differences between tracks. I think we can get away with not having gain and volume controls for each deck. If there are too many issues then we could always use a shortcut like holding the shift key changes the low eq knob to a gain knob. Save gain settings too so you dont have to adjust every time you load that particular track.

To the left of the load buttons are the loop controls. Loops range from 1/4 to 16, which for a phone app i think this is plenty. To trigger a loop simply click the desired number, then click again to stop. Use the scroll buttons to halve or double loops quicker. Manual loop controls might be availble through the use of qwerty short cuts, time will tell.

The red kill light to the left of the loop controls is the effects kill. These will function just as the effects kill button on the pacemaker. When an effect(s) is in use, hitting the kill obviously kills all effects for that deck. Hitting the kill again will re trigger the last used effects. This is a really awesome feature of the pacemaker and lets you pull off some super fast unique effects. Shift key + Kill shortcut to kill loops as well? Perfect for those big looped buildups with effects like highpass + wah all going at once, then kill all at the same time when the base kicks back in. Whoop Whoop!!

CUE is for triggering your track from the cue point without playing it. Releasing the CUE button will return the track to the original CUE point. This is good for triggering samples / acapellas. Without a multi touch screen, a qwerty shortcut will be used in combination with the CUE button to keep the track playing. This is for times when you want to trigger the track a few times from the same cue point before playing it.
We might be able to use qwerty shortcuts for multiple cue points too.

Play button functions as expected, it pauses the track too. Hopefully we can use the shift key in combination with the play button to trigger reverse play. Not something i use to be honest, but if it can be implimented simply and not slow things down then why not. I know people who use it.

Anyway thats enough for now i need to go to bed.

I havent had much luck getting any code monkeys on board.. Anyone?

The people want this app!
Help me!!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to s13n1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ mother earth
it looks great, I really like the UI

We want some beautiful apps like these to show iphone owners what the n900 is
developers, try to make app ui s more beautiful , PLEASE

Last edited by bzbnd; 2010-12-08 at 15:11.

Hey guys, heres an older version of the interface concept. Be sure to save it to your N900's and view it full screen.

Im glad you like the interface, its a bit different now, small additions, nothing major.

Let me know what you think!
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to s13n1 For This Useful Post:
look nice . cant stand test it

This looks really awesome! Would it be possible to play the music via an external D/A-converter using the USB connection ? It would be really cool if you could use the phono connection listening to the "cue track" as you are playing the "master track" via the USB ? Best regards and keep up the good work!

Im still chasing help guys.

i'll keep bumping this in the hope i can get some people on board.

Cheers.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Penang/Malaysia
A tester reporting in.. I would love to be a tester.. A frequent mixer for my college events

Tags
toads toaty