Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
For me my best phone without touch was the E71. OS integrated VPN, Encryption, usable like USB-Stick and best VoIP-Integration.
The VoIP on the E72 wasn't good integrated like on the E71.
After that my next Phone was the N9 and it is still my Main Phone.
The Jolla is for playing.

I like to have as my next phone like the N9 with the OS or Sailfish with the same functionality and adicional Encryption (best truecrypt), VPN, SRTP/ZRTP, same with Mail (gpg) and all of this OS integrated and not as an adiconal app.

Ok. i'am dreaming

PS: Pentaband, and LTE and ofcourse easy changeable Battery and SD-Card, also like E71

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
What about those form-factor models like the Nokia 6500 (or 6288) ??

I mean, the E71 is nice, but some/most of us don't like that Blackberry form factor. Our digits are too big. And those screens are tiny. Having a larger screen, so the keyboard slides out when you need it. Because Nokia phone's didn't need to use the keyboard constantly.

I was always jealous about my brother's Samsung D600.

PS Nice find on that concept phone. It looks halfway like a PSP.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
Ok. You god me.

For writing touch is better if you are writing in different languages.
Thatr was a bad point for my on E71.

I writing in spanish so letters like Ññ áúíé
And in german ÄäÖöÜü

that was a little bit complicate on E71 HW-Keyboard

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ New Delhi, DELHI, INDIA
Cool! It had sidetalking too.

I am getting devastated the more old phones I see. Huh! There is no design innovation in todays phone. Everyone is ditching the physical buttons. I am glad I have an N900 and can unlock it three ways.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princefakhan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
My all-time favourite form-factor.

It's a shame that form-factor ditched on 2007, the successor naver came. And why N95 sells much more than N93i.

When folded like "laptop" it was perfect for playing games. I remember I got the (un)official N-Gage client 2.0 and bought tons of games.

Optical zoom is great even nowadays, and taking picture in a camcorder style is just so cool.

I can control music with the side joystick even when folder is closed. I can see the track info inside the mirror.

So much memory about it. And I miss it.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
My all-time favourite form-factor.

It's a shame that form-factor ditched on 2007, the successor naver came. And why N95 sells much more than N93i.

When folded like "laptop" it was perfect for playing games. I remember I got the (un)official N-Gage client 2.0 and bought tons of games.

Optical zoom is great even nowadays, and taking picture in a camcorder style is just so cool.

I can control music with the side joystick even when folder is closed. I can see the track info inside the mirror.

So much memory about it. And I miss it.
Having used the Nokia N93i for a few years (after the great Siemens SX1 and before the greater Nokia N900), I'll tell you why:
  • the keyboard was horrible - the worst keyboard I've ever used. Typing sideways wasn't the worst thing, the quality was the key factor. You never knew if you pressed a key, because there was little to no feedback. Even after months/years of using it, you would accidentaly press the 'Reject call' instead of the tiny 'Backspace' key that was right next to it and you would do it too often to be acceptable. I can remember the rage of losing long texts, just because of the bad design decision. Too bad the 'Reject call' key behavior was changed to 'Close app' instead of the original 'Minimize' from older Symbian versions.
  • camera cover - sure, optical zoom was nice, but the camera cover was almost useless, as it would fall of (or even break) almost instantly. I remember not using the camera at all in later days, because it was scratched and I didn't want to buy another useless camera cover.
  • slowliness of the system

Other than that, I must agree that the form factor was interesting and it had quite a few nice things:
  • the OLED display - it was nice before it stop functioning right after the warranty period
  • flashlight and the ease of turning it on

Overall, it was quite a bad experience, though. Due to the bad keyboard of the N93i, playing N-Gage games was much more fun on the Siemens SX1

My brother had the N95 at the very same time and I would say it was much more reliable.

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-04-02 at 10:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Come on guys... page 5 and no one even mentioned the most classic Nokia phone at all??

This was my first phone ever and nearly everyone had this at the end of the 90s:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
I remember times when that Nokia 5110 would start making my gonads heat up and tingle through the radiation it induced.

Yeah, it certainly would be illegal to sell that with today's greatly reduced/limited range of acceptable radiation levels.

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I remember times when that Nokia 5110 would start making my gonads heat up and tingle through the radiation it induced.
Are you sure it was the radiation and not the sheer awesome sexiness of that phone?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I can't be too sure.
Though I have been asked several times "is that a Nokia in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?".
*pulls wiener out*
"Sorry, its the Nokia"

I'm flattered

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia, phone