Active Topics

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
This is to announce Flatpak support for Sailfish. Its raw on the edges, limited, but possible and, hopefully, will be available for your SFOS devices. With it, Flatpak allows you to use latest SDKs for your code development and running applications developed for Linux and distributed in this format.

Development is done via repositories at https://github.com/sailfishos-flatpak.

For issues and documentation see https://github.com/sailfishos-flatpak/main

Right now, Flatpak support is available for Sony Xperia Tama devices (unofficial port) with the hope that other devices will follow. Due to QtWayland limitations, only Qt/QML applications run well with Gdk apps refusing to start due to the absence of currently standard Wayland extensions.

For issues, see README at Github and its issue trackers.

Obligatory screenshots below showing KDE Plasma Mobile Web browser running on Sailfish.
Attached Images

The Following 61 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Amazing

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Unbelievable. Great work Rinigus, again. Thanks a lot, the community owes you a lot.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,700 | Thanked: 4,751 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
The flatpak is unknown to me. What are the benefits? With "Make Mint faster" instructions the flatpak is one to be deleted for good because of... something. So what are the benefits of flatpak? Curious.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatpak

In lay terms, it is a packaging format that allows you to run applications in a sandbox. As a result, your application sits in the same perceived environment regardless on whether it runs on Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, or, with the developed support, on Sailfish. There are limitations that make its use limited, but some we could maybe resolve.

Now, for us, it means ability to run KDE Plasma Mobile apps. In future, with Wayland compositor update, Gdk apps as well. In addition, it also allows to develop using Qt 5.12/5.13 already now.

There is a price to pay. Native look is not available, at least right now. Starting apps takes longer time as container has to be prepared. Keyboard requires special attention and a mod of the app before used. Hopefully, the latter can be resolved and we could use SFOS keyboard.

As a developer, I have distributed Pure Maps and OSM Scout Server via Flatpaks. As a result, I can package it in one place and have it on all desktop distributions. For native look, you have to package separately and write accordingly, as done for SFOS and Ubuntu Touch. For my apps, KDE Kirigami (as in Plasma Mobile) style is used for Flatpaks.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
There's no locale in OSM Scout Server flatpak?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,700 | Thanked: 4,751 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Thanks Rinigus, I understand now the benefits. Is this something that can be use also for Leste and N900? And longer starting times do not matter that much if the app works well after launching and if otherwise the application would be without reach with the device. Great work you do.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eson View Post
There's no locale in OSM Scout Server flatpak?
Maybe. I don't know, tbh. never checked it. Should put into my todo list...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Thanks Rinigus, I understand now the benefits. Is this something that can be use also for Leste and N900? And longer starting times do not matter that much if the app works well after launching and if otherwise the application would be without reach with the device. Great work you do.
As long as kernel is reasonably current (don't know what's reasonably current means over here), I presume it can work. But I know too little about Leste and N900 to make any specific comments

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Maybe. I don't know, tbh. never checked it. Should put into my todo list...

There isn't. Works fine in Pure Maps flatpack.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:

Tags
flatpak