Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Back to the original question ....

I use screen rotation at least once a day on my n800 and then N810 and do not have that problem.

I now use the version found in the WiKi that does not support auto-rotate based on the keyboard and do not have these problems.
Yes! Thank you! I have been trying apps that don't work for the last year or so. Now at last I have easily readable mobile pages. I can't say the same for the wiki, though: it's almost a caricature of Linux obscurity. It's not entirely the author's fault, more the limitations of the site. Are we just supposed to know which occurences of "l" are the letter ell and which are the number one?

To my mind, it would be perfectly sensible for the "l" in "maemo1rotationfast" to be a letter ell , standing for "left", something that makes sense when you are talking about rotation. It is actually a number one, but there is no way to know that except by copying the commands into an editor that distinguishes between one and ell.

Again, once a user has figured out that there are three commands in the big box, and has written them out separately, the commands sort of make sense. To get to that point, I had to play around in the editor with the copied commands, inserting a space after the first symbol on a line, or before the last symbol on a line, to see where the line breaks should come.

Could that big box be presented in the wiki as three separate boxes, each containing one command (that fact also being explained)? Users might find it more digestible in that form. This is a very beautiful application, and it will be a shame if it does not reach a wide audience of users.

EDIT: I see that Bunanson has already taken the wiki instructions and made them more user-friendly. See:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...+rotation+wiki .

It is worth reading the whole thread, rather than just the first post. Post #6 by Un27Pee is particularly helpful.

Last edited by scaler; 2009-12-11 at 16:01. Reason: Noted Bunanson's step by step instructions.