Notices

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 329 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Bosnia and Herzegovina
Originally Posted by zdanee View Post
I've played the game over and over, and I have some suggestions
The graphics are really good, and looks professional, but I'm missing the depth of the solid blocks. I mean the ball has a shadow, so it looks like it has a depth but not the blocks. In my opinion the platforms should have a slight depth as well, would add greatly to the graphics (maybe fake-3D effect with accelerometer?).
The game mechanics are also good, but after some levels I started missing real danger. Some traps could be included, that would either "burn" you and take points away, or maybe make you loose stars so you have to go back and pick them up again, disappearing, falling or breaking blocks, things like that.
About the level editor: I tried to make a Super Mario level, but it looked nothing like it. It would be great to add your own "blocks" to the game, just as decorations, or maybe adding some 20-30 default decoration blocks.
Finally regarding the controls: I did find it easy to control the ball, even thou I dislike accelerometer games, this one is easy to control. First I thought I can jump with the green button, but I did find it hard to jump to the right because the screen edge was near. Maybe it should be more to the left, or it should be indicated somehow that you can initiate a jump anywhere on the screen (tutorial level maybe?).

Thanks for the great game!
Thank you for your input. Most of those aren't done that way for technical reasons. They would either slow the game down or complicate it or both. As for depth, some time ago I did a prototype of this game with 3D graphics (screenshot attached). I think it's an actual screenshot from N900, it ran at about 40 fps. Gameplay would still be 2D, but the view would tilt a bit when you moved, so you could see the depth. But it was done using Qt (no Android compatibility at the time) and a bit impractical overall, so I scrached it and much later started this iteration. It was a bit painful to achieve 60 fps in this version, but I think it was worth it (if only I could enable damn v-sync...). Importing your own blocks would be to complicated, both for me and for the end-user, and I'm already struggling with texture memory on Androids. There's not much room left for me adding blocks either, at least the way things are set up now. Level editing is another major factor here. I decided I wanted that early on, so all gameplay elements needed to be simple enough that anyone could use them while making their own levels. Editor souldn't be significantly harder to use than the game itself. Also - it's easy to abuse. If only I made the levels, I'd put more stuff in, add more shiny animations and whatnot. But with everyone editing, I had to make the cost of each tile more-or-less constant. And those "advanced tiles" are limited in quantity (stars and portals). I wanted to make something for mass-consumption, an that means it has to be idiot-proof. I don't want to be explaining why is the game running slow on one level, and not on another, especially if I'm going to ask some money for my games at some point in the future. As for the instructions, I thought the best way would be a narrated tutorial video, but it just hasn't happened yet
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBurek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sweden
@TheBurek ostavi se portovanja bolan, sad ce nam utakmica :P

The Following User Says Thank You to Leon4 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 169 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Bosnia /Sarajevo
jos malo.......

Posts: 939 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ U.K.
brilliant game nice gameplay

The Following User Says Thank You to corduroysack For This Useful Post:
Hi everyone, again I'm here to announce a relatively large update - online features are up and running now. You can download levels and rate them or upload your own levels. For this you'll need an account here. Didn't have the time to type some kind of privacy policy or whatever, but we won't spam you, honest There are some other minor improvements, can't remember them all now. New DEB is here (I updated the link in the first post also). And, there's also a Windows version now available. I heard there were some problems with alt-tabbing, so you may want to edit settings.ini and set fullscreen to zero. Also, you may need VC++ 2010 redist for Win32 version. Linux build will come very soon, and hopefully Android too. I really wanted to have the accelerometer functioning for this Android update, but I'm still having troubles. So, people, test it, and please help us out by uploading some creative new levels You can later post you level IDs here, so they're easier to find.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheBurek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Registered and downloaded the five levels I could find.
Nice to be able to play new levels again.

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the response. I'll try to put in some new levels myself, but we're going to be heavily dependent on other people willing to make levels, so I really hope this catches on, alt least a bit People, create and upload levels, please, mkay?

*bump* New Maemo version with some very slight changes is available, and a bit more improved Windows version, now coming with a nice installer. Android version is now in-sync, with net and accelerometer support, though it doesn't work well on NitDroid, but on "real" Android devices it runs fine. You can get them all from this page. So, is everyone just shy to upload anything or is noone really feeling like making levels for this game? You can make them on your PC now also, with mouse, if that helps

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheBurek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 458 | Thanked: 274 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by TheBurek View Post
*bump* New Maemo version with some very slight changes is available, and a bit more improved Windows version, now coming with a nice installer. Android version is now in-sync, with net and accelerometer support, though it doesn't work well on NitDroid, but on "real" Android devices it runs fine. You can get them all from this page. So, is everyone just shy to upload anything or is noone really feeling like making levels for this game? You can make them on your PC now also, with mouse, if that helps
Thanks, tried the game on my Samsung Galagsy S2 and it seemed to work fine. The game itself was quite fun too, good work! The only thing that I thinks should be added is support for multitouch though. It would be nice if I could jump while I'm moving. If that isn't supposed to be done at least make it so that if you press some button and then while still pressing the first one press another one and then stop pressing the first one it doesn't think your still pressing the first one.

Edit: Just found out that I can't control the (media) volume with the hardware volume buttons while in the game.

Last edited by MiK546; 2011-12-27 at 08:47.

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Tried to load the new version, but getting
Code:
The requested URL /redroll/builds/redroll_2.01_armel.deb was not found on this server.