Poll: Did you order a raspberry pi
Poll Options
Did you order a raspberry pi

That's great news qwazix, please keep us informed as to how well/easy you find the install

Fingers crossed, mine will be here next week

@tanrax: We can't run Maemo no. It is closed source. However there is MER currently in works

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Image copied to sd successfully, booted ok. Network works ok. The funny thing is there is no power button. You just plug it in.

Now I've got some problems upgrading pacman, and I am a complete arch noob. I'll try a bit more but debian is waiting in the corner. I chose arch because I like rolling releases.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I just got mail with info, that i can, finally, order. no idea, when it will arrive... Hope for no credit card verification problems, as their system is stupid - Not possible to define different shipping and billing address.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Nice one Estel

Not too sure about how their CC payments are, but they do use paypal too.

Edit: just re-read your post. I gather you have already payed for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
I stuck to what it seems to be an infamous 800x480 problem with arch, and I also couldn't find firefox in their repos (didn't search much though) so I decided to ditch it and go with the more familiar debian.

It felt like I had super cow powers when I was apt-getting iceweasel 11 from experimental

So far everything works fine, but real slow. Looking forward to GPU accelerated X.

Estel, good luck with your purchase.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Copenhague, Denmark
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post

So far everything works fine, but real slow. Looking forward to GPU accelerated X.
Haven't got mine yet, but hang on a second... does X default to SVGA on the pi? I thought GPU drivers were bundled (albeit as a binary blob)...?

No there is a bug in arch linux arm that limits the resolution to 800x480. It happened after the first reboot in my case. In debian I can use 1080 without problems, but the screen refreshes with lag when you move or minimize windows. The rpi blog states that they have WIP to offload the x window system to the GPU. That's what I am waiting for as the slowness of the X windows is borderline unacceptable.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
My Pi arrived yesterday, and I pushed both the Debian build and the Openelec build to SD cards.

X on Debian is quite sluggish at the minute and definately in need of development and optimisation. The raspberry pi browser is midori which was a nice reminder of when I used it on the N8x0.

On the other hand OpenElec is excellent. The interface looks great at 1080p and is fast. Pulling video and lists from my pogoplug media server (runs debian) was really quick and it played any of the media formats I could chuck at it without any problem. There is a slight slowdown if the display and lists are overlaid over the video, but that was largely down to my unfamiliarity with the XBMC interface.

I was thinking that it would be quite cool to try and put Mer and or possibly Cordia to it.

Main problem I have now is deciding whether to press the single Pi I have into service as a media player, or to continue to hack and play with it..

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post

Main problem I have now is deciding whether to press the single Pi I have into service as a media player, or to continue to hack and play with it..
Hack of course, You can always do the former, after achieving some amazing things

Maybe someone, who already received Pi, would like to try things from this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81408
...? Easy Debian on N900 with HDMI out via Pi (kinda "achieved, as per freemangordon) is quite teasing, isn't it?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: