Active Topics

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Ministeri View Post
It's the main newspaper in Finland. Largest of it's kind.
It's a trash paper like The Sun. More accurate news comes from newspapers like Uusi Suomi or Kaleva.

Eflop is a terrible disaster for Nokia, I think he should go after WP flops.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. From my experience working in and with US-based IT companies, they are pretty good at brainwashing people to be loyal to the brand forever. I have seen it time and time again.
Unfortunately we won't know the answer for quite sometime, and only if NOK+MS strategy fails

I realize (after rereading my post) that my post may have sounded like Elop is a closet MeeGo fanboy; but I think he's just playing a good chess game (for himself) so far.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

LOL this is so bloody confusing

look - is this quote firm or not ? i.e. is it being picked up by all newspapers and treated as truth ? has elop/nokia issued other statements confirming ?

Originally Posted by Metsämies View Post
It's a trash paper like The Sun. More accurate news comes from newspapers like Uusi Suomi or Kaleva.

Eflop is a terrible disaster for Nokia, I think he should go after WP flops.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
That does not make sense, if the N9 is a big success it will not be the last one, even if they are already using those expensive robots to make phones for WP7. Don't forget Elop does not own Nokia.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Mobile
The N9 can only really be a success if another device using Meego is at least announced. If Intel can secure any other maker at all....then the N9 is not a dead end, then only Nokla is a dead end.

Everyone making money out of branding smart phones is a platform (e.g apple) or an actual manufacturer with their own factories (e.g. HTC). Nokia, as neither cannot make money without an ecosystem/platform, as their simply isnt a third profit to be made.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by 1SnapMusic! View Post
And, I'm sure Nokia's Board will take notice of this and if Elop doesn't comply with their wishes he will be forced out.
I'm afraid that it's not enough as Elop is intentionally sabotaging the N9 sales with his statements.

This means that Nokia won't use money in marketing and probably will provide only limited amounts of this phone. Then it will probably sell every piece they made and still be declared as a failure. That's what happened with N900.

But I'm glad that at least Finnish carriers (Elisa/Saunalahti, Sonera, DNA) are already advertising N9. Elop won't probably like it though.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
LOL this is so bloody confusing

look - is this quote firm or not ? i.e. is it being picked up by all newspapers and treated as truth ? has elop/nokia issued other statements confirming ?
I disagree (though HS is biased in some ways). Article is made on the basis of interview with Mr. Microsoft (Elop).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helsingin_Sanomat

Last edited by Ministeri; 2011-06-23 at 06:43.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ministeri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Yeah, I can confirm that that's what the article says too, very clear. But why is this a surprise to anybody? Most of the people that make Meego have been laid off already or will be at the end of the year, they've stated this is the only Meego product now for a long time. Even if they wanted to make another Meego phone, at this moment, they'd have to hire back people they've already fired. A lot of important people (management and coders) have also left on their own, so yeah, Meego's gone. This was clear in February already. It's actually impressive that they managed to get this out at all with the chaos since February, in my opinion, good job, Meego team!

Too bad, I think the N9 looks like way more interesting phone than the N900 (please note that I said "phone", spare me the mobile computer rants...). Looking at the videos of this thing, a strategy based on Meego would've looked pretty good to me, I don't understand how anybody can get excited about MS's silly blocks UI. Oh well. And by the way: any dreams that this phone will be some major huge hit everywhere are just silly: it doesn't even look like they're releasing this in the UK and USA...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post:
whaaaat? I understand that MeeGo now does not have the ecosystem necessary for large scale market share, and WP can provide that for several years until MeeGo is ready. thats is why I gave Elop the benefit of the doubt since Feb.
if it his real intention what the article says, he is a certified trojan horse now.

The Following User Says Thank You to kar88 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by 1SnapMusic! View Post
Elop is a Microsoft guy through and through. Therefore, I'm not too surprised he'd take this stance.

However, if the N9/950 do prove to be a hit, I suspect the Board may push him in another direction and force him to reconsider.

From what I've seen on the Tech websites, the N9 is generating many positive reactions. And, I'm sure Nokia's Board will take notice of this and if Elop doesn't comply with their wishes he will be forced out.

Nokia have the makings of a beautiful 'eco system' with MeeGo, if they choose to drive it forward.
well Elop made sure that it won't by announcing the death of Meego from Nokia part, like he did with Symbian even though the support will last till 2016 and they still have handsets in labs to be released running Symbian.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Metsämies View Post
This is off-topic, but that's just insane. Comparing quality newpaper to to a trash tabloid. Helsingin Sanomat is a daily newspaper of the highest quality.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:

Tags
elopcalypse, elopocalypse, insanity, makesnosense, trojan