Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Ohkay.

I didn't use any of those weblinks....I ran the benchmark off my phone.
And I'm more inclined to believe my hands-on score of ~1,500 rather than one published by an unknown. And like I said, I can get a better score if I tried.
well I'm certainly not making this **** up. If that's what you think

http://www.flickr.com/photos/umpcportal/6329289344/
All phones are tested stock, trying to get high scores by tweaks isn't the norm for any of these benchmarks. These are out the box devices.

My point still stands, benchmarks mean nothing when it comes to real performance. ibrakalifa is possibly true that Harmattan running on a more modern processor would outpace even these high-end devices.

(The only thing benchmarks can do is to prove one device is actually faster than another, when the scores are very far apart.
I'm talking like a difference between gingerbread SGS and SGS2 where they behave close/slight edge to S2...but in benchmarks the S2 proves its superiority by showing more impressive figures.)
I think benchmarks were discussed earlier in this thread so we are covering already covered ground. Usually I would agree for a benchmark that uses hardware not currently supported by any software other than the benchmark itself but again sunspider is a realworld test which explains why ibrakalifa might be showing a better score with lower hardware. Which was what his assertion was based on anyway, his sunspider score. Sunspider is a realworld test that takes these things into account ( eg OS and browser) and is based on actual javascript tasks you would encounter in actual sites. It's not just an arbitrary figure based on theoretical potential of the hardware. It's a timed actual task on a site. Did you time the "slight edge" of the S2? to know if this slight edge matchs the benchmark difference? It seems you accept a qualitative difference but dispute the quantitative test of it.

I don't have anything else to add to this discussion.

While the tasks ran on the SS test maybe linked to "realworld test" it is still not a real world test in itself. Its a synthetic test that was created to measure the browser performance. When browsing the internet, each page renders different annotations, in a random order, in random quantities, with differing amount of buffer time. It is not ordered like in the SS test !

Changing browsers can affect the results drastically.
Changing the OS will affect the results drastically.

The SGS vs S2 was a hypothetical match-up. I'm disappointed you couldn't come to this conclusion personally. Basically I was saying that both on 2.3 will behave very smooth and browser will be agile. You may see the S2 browse faster. Then you run the SS benchmark and discover a huge difference in scores. This is used to confirm your suspicions, proving one is faster than the other. And in that sense "benchmarking" makes sense.
-However, running benchmarks and comparing them to other devices isn't the be-all-end-all proof of the hardware. Like I said, its more complicated than that.

(besides if it was, no one would be using an n900)

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-05-10 at 04:55.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I don't have anything else to add to this discussion.

While the tasks ran on the SS test maybe linked to "realworld test" it is still not a real world test in itself. Its a synthetic test that was created to measure the browser performance. When browsing the internet, each page renders different annotations, in a random order, in random quantities, with differing amount of buffer time. It is not ordered like in the SS test !

Changing browsers can affect the results drastically.
Changing the OS will affect the results drastically.

The SGS vs S2 was a hypothetical match-up. I'm disappointed you couldn't come to this conclusion personally. Basically I was saying that both on 2.3 will behave very smooth and browser will be agile. You may see the S2 browse faster. Then you run the SS benchmark and discover a huge difference in scores. This is used to confirm your suspicions, proving one is faster than the other. And in that sense "benchmarking" makes sense.
-However, running benchmarks and comparing them to other devices isn't the be-all-end-all proof of the hardware. Like I said, its more complicated than that.

(besides if it was, no one would be using an n900)
Not sure what to infer from that, especially about the N900. The sunspider results on the N900 are I think near the 40000ms mark. This is indicative of performance, try and open a javascript heavy page like a theverge.com article and see how long it takes to load the comments section, it will take so long that it may prompt you to stop the script from running or to close the browser.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Yes, and I'm presently downloading

Ah, and people having problems with the stock browser (Eiffel for column enlarging, and Chuck Norris for writing in text boxes: be sure you try the latest Dolphin Browser HD (which in my own experience runs circles around the stock one).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I am writing this on the very nice handwriting recognition of the note. I finally found a phone where firefox is actually usable. l liked that you can put handwritten notes on the desktop. Is there anything similar for them around?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
You can with S-Memo, or if you have Go Launcher, there is a note widget which allows handwritten notes, as well as keyed-in or task lists.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Ι tried to write "is there something similar for the N900 around?" but the handwriting recognizer betrayed me...

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Ι tried to write "is there something similar for the N900 around?" but the handwriting recognizer betrayed me...
I remember there being one for Chinese but I don't think there was any for other languages.

Last edited by Cue; 2012-05-11 at 09:49.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Yes, and I'm presently downloading
Hmm... how, where? ... :-)

Tags
android, galaxy note