Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
So what happens on the N9's browser when you try? Like for example when you click the Browse/Upload button to attach files to a composition in a webmail page?
Nothing happens. It's like you'd tap on an empty part of the web page.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Paul Ortyl View Post
Jabber IS suported (GTalk == jabber), the only problem is that you cannot configure it in the UI.
Which means it isn't supported. If I cannot tap on it in the GUI, it isn't supported. It's hidden away. That's the opposite of being supported.

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Question: if I do what Paul here suggests, and dont hit me for being ******ed cause Im really ignorant about this stuff; will I be able to use MSN?

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Which means it isn't supported. If I cannot tap on it in the GUI, it isn't supported. It's hidden away. That's the opposite of being supported.
Well... it works for me, so from my point of view it is supported, but I agree, it would be better if setup was available in the UI. All the rest works, contacts and chat messages are handled as if it was any other "supported" IM account.

MSN? no idea, if it is jabber-based protocol, then yes, otherwise not really.

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
The N900 is better in most everything.

Where are the arrow keys for navigating terminal / text files?
Open terminal and rotate the phone sideways. That will expose more width for the app, and from there you will see the little menu button (three horizontal stripes) in the upper right corner. Tap that to get the menu, and set the "toolbar" to "arrows."

Andy

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajwatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slai View Post
Question: if I do what Paul here suggests, and dont hit me for being ******ed cause Im really ignorant about this stuff; will I be able to use MSN?
Mhm... As far as I know, you'd need either Butterfly or Haze (together with libpurple) for MSN. (See this Wikipedia entry.)

On the N9, I find only:
gabble (XMPP-based like Google, Facebook,...)
ring (phone)
spirit (Skype)
mmscm (probably MMS?)
sofiasip (SIP)

Gabble is used for the hack described earlier (enabling jabber from the command line). Neither Butterfly nor Haze are there, so my first guess would be: no. No MSN on the N9 without additional software.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by Paul Ortyl View Post
Well... it works for me, so from my point of view it is supported, but I agree, it would be better if setup was available in the UI. All the rest works, contacts and chat messages are handled as if it was any other "supported" IM account.

MSN? no idea, if it is jabber-based protocol, then yes, otherwise not really.
lol, just the idea of ms using something open instead of their proprietary format makes me laugh...

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
There is an unofficial repackaged version from MeeGo CE:
http://sandst1.wordpress.com/2011/07...for-harmattan/
I'm using it just fine on my N950, don't know about the N9 though. Use at own risk, etc.
I've loaded this on my N9 and it works. Portrait mode doesn't work though.

Andy

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ New Jersey
I just want to thank everyone SO MUCH! This has been super informative! Some of this news is kind of saddening and kind of weird to me. It's weird that a few users are ragging on the screen when I've almost unanimously heard that the screen was an absolute beauty, with the exception of the biggest of screen snobs who complained about the whole Pentile thing.

I am a bit surprised to hear that Nokia added more limitations instead of opening things up a bit more. I'm a bit confused on the reasoning, but then again, I'm no programmer. Maybe I'll be waiting for a steep price drop before looking at buying this thing after all...

The most bittersweet thing to me about the N900 was the browser. It was was so robust, but it just seems to take an eternity to actually get up and running or open new links, to the point I avoid using it when possible. Plus, the lack of text wrapping made lots of panning and zooming necessary, which was a bit cumbersome. Opera was a great improvement on this, but the compatibility(with something even as popular as Facebook) was moderately terrible. Plus, no Flash is kind of the last nail in the coffin. Firefox was massively underwhelming because it had all the same problems as MicroB, but it seemed even slower, no gesture zoom, and no Flash support. I'm just sad to hear that it seems as if the browser has only gotten worse.

I didn't even think about how annoying the lack of a physical keyboard could be when you're using things like Terminal(using up or down to shuffle through previous commands is extremely useful) and even worse when you can't get a consistent copy and paste command to assist you.

This has all been extremely helpful, guys! Definitely keep the comments coming and I'll keep doing some investigating of my own.

Check out:
pyRadio-A Pandora Client

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ New Jersey
How is Skype video call support? It's worked great on my N900, but I know it's extremely touchy across most all Nokia devices(namely Symbian and Maemo when it was first released).

And is there a switch for 2G, 3G, and Dual antenna modes like this applet provided? I swear that program totally makes my phone coverage improve 40x! I can full 3G coverage nearly everywhere and I guess that's because it's not reliant on the signal switching software built-in.

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/M...ection-applet/

Check out:
pyRadio-A Pandora Client

Last edited by The Arsonist; 2011-11-08 at 04:50.