Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Added me and you Estel, pm me if anything is off

Anybody else with soldering skills, please sign up if you have the time, this fix is very easy to do and should MAX take 2 hours

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ France
Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post
However I have no skills at all for that kind of operation.

Is there someone around Frankfurt-am-Main willing to help me on this one ?
I can provide the beer (after the surgical operation) ;-)

Thanks,
I'm too far, but I don't have any skill and I've done it. The only tricky part is to replace the flex connector (see the post #69), but you can't brake anything while doing it. Applying epoxy with a needle has nothing difficult. For the remainder, you just need the 2 screwdrivers... Look at the videos about N900 disassembly if that scares you.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Preventive soldiering or epoxy use is indeed Easy and doable for anyone with a little patience (and a couple of screwdivers, you can use a 'flat' one for the star shaped screws, I didn't have the star one)... the re-connection is very hard for somebody with little experience and/or lack of manual habilities (like me)... so... really, everybody should think about doing preventive, it's better and ectremely easier to prevent than try to fix this...
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strange1712 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Ipswich, Uk
Ok... Ive checked out this link.. gonna go out tomorrow and buy a fine tip for my iron and a magnifiy glass... as its been a while since my usb port broke out my N900 this was not because it was yanked out... I just found it smoking one day... seems it had shorted. and burnt out the plastic inside the usb... this was unusable.. but the dam phone gliched a couple of days agoand now is stuck on nokia screen so have to flash it.. this is the only way or I def go down the Samsung S2 route. I have new usb ports so will attempt to remove sheild and fit wires to usb port and solder to mother board!!. wish me luck.!!

Loz.

Audiophile real hi end hifi lover: Revolver Rebel turntable Ortofon CMBPRO stylus, Arcam FMJ MS250 Media server, Krell KRC-2 Analogue pre amp, DENON UDRA-70 sub amp, Harmon Kardon EQ8 eq.
ECS EA1 mono block amps x2, Tannoy M3, Tannoy ST50 super tweeters.
Tannoy 625 Alfie Sub, Revo iblik Wifi reflashed now with DAB. Pure Sound

Dont steal, the govenment hates the compitition.

www.vacrite.co.uk

Last edited by Loz; 2012-03-11 at 03:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to Loz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Ipswich, Uk
Well I think this is my last mail on the maemo site.. tried to do the fix for my usb.. and just no chance... this is micro electronics.. and although I know what I want to do my tools wouldnt let me.. So I have a N900 in very well looked after condition infact not one scratch on screen as I allway had pretectors on it..and not just any... Nokia brand... so how much is my brick worth now?offer me the right price and its yours.. Monday Ill be sporting a Galaxy S2. or mail me via my website www.vacrite.co.uk

Loz..

Audiophile real hi end hifi lover: Revolver Rebel turntable Ortofon CMBPRO stylus, Arcam FMJ MS250 Media server, Krell KRC-2 Analogue pre amp, DENON UDRA-70 sub amp, Harmon Kardon EQ8 eq.
ECS EA1 mono block amps x2, Tannoy M3, Tannoy ST50 super tweeters.
Tannoy 625 Alfie Sub, Revo iblik Wifi reflashed now with DAB. Pure Sound

Dont steal, the govenment hates the compitition.

www.vacrite.co.uk

Ok, I'll comment I've had to re-soldier the cables to the connector a couple times now, this last time it was actually strange as connectivity seem ok, and it detected being charging but after a while it just said "Not charging" and that was all... I hope with the last re-soldiering it will live some more time, but I think this could be related to the removed component in my first attempt to repair.
The point is I guess My N900 won't actually last a lot from now on, and that makes me a little sad. F#c#k Nokia, If there was an actual replacement for N900 It wouldn't be so difficult to get something newer with Maemo (and keep with community)... but no choice so far.

I think Nokia did gud with Nokia N8 .....

they gave the pin charging point and the usb one too

u can charge with the pin 1 and if need for data transfer and all stuff just use usb .... it will have less usb usage ...

le sigh... my usb fell out while i was traveling abroad near on a year ago. when it happened i could not believe it, then realized this forum had so many posts on the subject i though, "man if i only though to check out this forum" when i bought the phone. since then i have been using an external battery charger and letting the n900 steal my heart.

then i went and overclocked it... well... that generated a reboot loop. so i have a bricked phone now. all is not lost however, i know someone who is a bit crazy about modding electronics. he might be able to re-solder on the usb for me.

until then i have a "new" n900 coming from hong kong! first thing im gona do with it? solder down that blasted usb and grind down the cables! viva el n900!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jerjozwik For This Useful Post:
Ok, I Think I will have to get a new one from wherever there are "New" or "semi"-New ones... Mine doesn't want to charge anymore... I've tested the USB Pins and everything's all right, so it must have finally damaged the battery charging circuit... I'm Sad...

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Indonesia
DUH, eager to re-soldering my usb port, but I still don't have heart to deflowering my rover .