Download the eMMC image and flash the N900 with that.

It will fix it.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Download the eMMC image and flash the N900 with that.

It will fix it.
Did you even read the thread? There's only 1 page, so it's not as though it'd take long. He's already reflashed the eMMC several times and it has not fixed it.

Oh yes, sorry.

Theres no other solution than to return it.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
It should be possible - might be worth starting a new thread asking about that (if you can't find any suitable existing threads). The other issue you'll have is getting the base data (what's in the eMMC firmware image) onto the SD.
Yes, I have been researching this aspect last night. Seems like fanoush and Stskeeps have succeeded in doing this over here.

I just stumbled across this last night, and haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I am not sure if I will be successful in cloning the root filesystem, since I am not sure if it is also corrupt. I will try it out though.

And yes, I may very well start a new thread on the subject. Thanks again for your replies.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
OK, I managed to clone the OS to the external SD and boot from there using the guide mentioned in the previous post.

Since I am not sure of the integrity of the existing rootfs, I am not sure if some of the problems I still have are attributable to that. What would be nice is if I could get a pristine rootfs and /home from somewhere and use that instead of cloning the one I have got.

Can I get the rootfs onto an SD card using the flashable image from the nokia repositories?

Some of my problems have been fixed:

1. now have /home/opt (after creating the directory) - could not do this when booting from internal flash
2. Can now browse most of the time while on wifi

And some have not:
1. memory errors (although not as often as previously)
2. 3G not working (new problem I think)

Other observations:

1. Installing applications from the App Mgr causes reboots

I think the N900 has a systemic hardware problem. Too bad - I am finding it difficult to cope without it

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Belgium
Hi, I also had corrupted eMMC... sent my N900 back to nokia for repair yesterday :-)

Originally Posted by beli View Post
Hi, I also had corrupted eMMC... sent my N900 back to nokia for repair yesterday :-)
I came across similar problems, after downloading my mp3s to my phone. As it turns out, I successfully tried to do a fsck on /home, and it returned a ton of errors, but since the file system was mounted, I assumed that was the issue. (I would love to get into single user mode on the phone) None the less, I wanted to move the phone to a brand new factory state, so i downloaded the latest image. (2.8 now available for download), and I downloaded the latest vanilla version of the emmc. I followed the directions on this web page:

http://maemocentral.com/2010/02/05/h...factory-state/

And when I rebooted the phone, I was missing the /home filesystem, and it looked like the OS created /home/users inside of /. So I reflashed the firmware, and still no /home filesystem. Thankfully rootsh would installed, and I became root, and then removed (rm -rf /home) and rebooted the phone. Of course it wouldn't boot, then I reflashed the firmware again. This time /home was there, but I couldn't install firefox, due to a missing /opt directory. /opt was a soft link pointing to /home/opt. So I created /home/opt as root (mkdir /home/opt) and now bigger apps will install.

So to review:

1. download the lastest firmware AND EMMC vanilla image
2. flash the firmware (without the reboot flag)
3. flash the EMMC (with the reboot flag)
4. Check to see if /opt and /home/opt is present

If /home/opt is missing, flash the firmware again, and then install rootsh. As root create /home/opt, and you should be ok.

Once again it would really be nice if, I could put the phone in single user mode, and perform a fsck, if/when the filesystem becomes corrupt. Of course I say that without first looking to see if it's possible

--Wildcardjack

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
I don't know if this could help you at this stage. I found that the eMMC of my N900 was formatted as vfat rather than ext2. I notice some corruption in it after removing Easy Debian, but I umount && fsck it the problem persist. (I even tried -f option)

Then I remount it and connect to PC with USB as a mass storage, and have Windows performed disk checking (remember to check the full disk scan). In the end it found the lost cluster, fixed it and save it under FOUND.000 (it was in fact a corrupted 2G disk image of Easy Debian).

While it's strange that the Windows disk checking fix the eMMC while fsck couldn't, the problem was solved nevertheless.

This is just my experience and might not applicable to others, but hope this'd help you.

Last edited by 9000; 2010-05-17 at 02:26.

Tags
drunk, emmc, memory, n900