Active Topics

This just happened to me, on my brand new (<4h old) N9.

But I had had set up a MfE account and during the setup I was asked for some security password.

The lock password was the same as that one; I did have an alphanumeric keyboard.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by vip View Post
This just happened to me, on my brand new (<4h old) N9.

But I had had set up a MfE account and during the setup I was asked for some security password.

The lock password was the same as that one; I did have an alphanumeric keyboard.
That is a normal security feature requested by your workplace IT in order for you to use your email.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^ Well, some workplaces, it's not universal.

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
That is a normal security feature requested by your workplace IT in order for you to use your email.
Well, what I find odd is that I don't have the same issue with Exchange on my iPhone.

Also, can this password be changed w/o having to delete & recreate an account? I could not find a way to do it.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Well, what I find odd is that I don't have the same issue with Exchange on my iPhone.

Also, can this password be changed w/o having to delete & recreate an account? I could not find a way to do it.
Well in that case....
Your work exchange server may not require provisioned devices.
In which case you enable/tick "non-provisionable"* in your settings.

But the damage may have already been done by the sounds.
Read the thread I linked to earlier in this thread...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...91#post1138391

Read from above till the end, preferably read the whole thread.
It's explained at least once how to toggle "non-provisionable".
And you can also ask further questions there...

*or "provisionable"... I can't recall.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-01 at 08:33.

Actually, iPhone and iPad will ask you to set up the security code, if requested by the corporate Exchange server and the iPhone/iPad does not have the security code already set up. I noticed that when I set my iPad against my corporate Exchange server.

A colleague mine just got his N9 a few days ago and he has experienced the same bug after setting up Mail for Exchange: N9 required him to enter security code after reboot, and he has no clue what to enter. And before getting N9, I specifically told him not to get that phone, as we have had so many problems with N900, but no, he didn't believe what I was saying!!!

Last edited by IlkkaP; 2012-01-06 at 16:03.

Hi Guys,

Hope this will help you!

http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43877

Hi Guys,

Same thing happened to me. Just removed the sim this morning. After inserted it , N9 started to ask the security code. I did't setup any passcode for it. But track and protect is activated.

I tried with all the password used for track and protect but not succeeded. I did't not even setup any MFE.

The key was one of my gmail password. If you did not setup any password (I don't know which one - default mobile setting or Track&protect) it is automatically taking one of your mail account password.

Note that all are in small letters(and numeric if it has). So if you did't setup any password you can try with your mail passwords in small case. It will surely get unlock and solve the problem...
Then you can setup new security code.

So secured mobile - but no clear instruction!!! But still i love my N9 cyan...

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
If you have inception installed, you can dig out cleartext lockcode, by using same API that devicelock uses to send the cleartext lockcode to trusted person. But yes, solution takes some effort and requirest you to replace a system package. (And if you happen to be locked out of ssh shell, you would need 1st need to build serial console cable to get connected to getty shell)... I did a proof of concept device lock code hack a while ago, so I know that it can be done. Works for me

But to answer the question in topic: Default security code is empty string.

But when MfE or other softwares force security code on, it can set it do its default secret string (which can be random or taken from your email password). And only way to retrieve it is to use devicelock hack, or by sending sms to your trusted person that you hopefully had set up before setting up MfE
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2012-10-31 at 14:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Just to chip in: I had same problem my N9 locked up and default 00000 didn't work. Eventually it turned out to be the MfE password and keyboard was okay to switch to letters "edit/ABC" soft button. Also you can turn off the MfE password in account settings with checking (on) option "non-provisional device".