Active Topics

Poll: When will Linux in general become a major OS contender?
Poll Options
When will Linux in general become a major OS contender?

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
I am glad to see so many ppl here with each point from my respond in different thread. This should tell you, Linux guys/programmers a lot what you doing wrong. your Open Source system is ready but you really need to open your minds as well. How to compete in modern world with corporations and stay open source solution.

But personally I am loosing my faith even base on what I see here.
Some thing are gonna change some never. Maybe new generation put some freshness to the idea because old is to much conservative.

That's my 2 cents.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Some of Linux' popular selling points and how people will most likely respond to it:

1. Linux is cheap/free
: But I don't pay for my OS anyway, it comes with my pc/notebook/etc.
: But my employer pays for it

2. Linux uses open standard
: How does that matter to me?
: But my employer use a proprietary system which isn't compatible with 'Linux' ('s offering).

3. Linux has no virus
: But I get free antivirus from my pc/notebook
: But I still have another year of subscription to Norton

4. Linux is faster
: But does it run Crysis?

5. Linux is safer
: Windows isn't?

To me, there's no really strong selling point of Linux to the non-techies out there. Couple that with interoperability problem with enterprise systems and 3rd party accessories or 3rd party apps, then they get more problem trying to run Linux than not.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
It seems noone gives a chance to meego, if it mantains what promised it may accelerate a lot the process IMO.

The Following User Says Thank You to nicola.mfb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ England and USA
Originally Posted by xomm View Post
Do you think Linux will ever become a major contender in the OS market? i.e. People in general will seriously consider whether to buy a PC with Windows or Linux?
Linux is already the most heavily used OS. BY FAR. Computing has moved to the internet with personal computers just running the browser.

The applications are running on remote servers, which usually run Linux.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sgbirch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Why would I?
But I could if I wanted to. There is MonoDevelop, SharpDevelop, and more stuff.
Because your gaining an unhealthy reliance on a tool.

Do you know any besides Qt Creator with which I can develop for the N900 with Qt?
This is a longshot, but you could read the api docs and write it by hand!!

You misunderstand. I don't talk about custom error handling, I'm talking about debugging. (BTW, I agree with you on what you wrote there.)
If an exception is thrown during debug, the environment should tell the developer what the problem is.
Sounds like poor code, best to look at thread that is running and watch your vars (in your debugger!), but you knew that !
Sure! Thanks for your professional opinion, sir!
I'm not a professional (yet)! Just trying to get you more open to the development world outside of Microsoft's implementation..

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Nottingham
The way the general public use computers is changing. Until recently there was no real alternative but with the advent of touchscreen phones, connected tv, tablets etc I have no doubt that Linux will become more popular for personal use. Most people don't need a full blown computer, I have a family that spends enourmous amounts of time on Facebook and that virtual farm thingy. And they in turn are in touch with their friends who are also using Facebook and tending to their farms.

Meego and all other widget based OS's are the future, I have no doubt of that, and as manufacturers bring out more and more connected devices, Windows will have to change.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
as linux user i hope never. popularity spoils everything.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
i tried running linux several times in the past 5 years.. but failed each time..

yeah maybe i'm too much used to windows, but windows already has all my needs..

After installing linux, each time I feel I am just going backwards again to command line days... Its not user friendly at all to me - I know, i will install it again, then uninstall..
thats y i think its just going to be there, among the minority, who like to fiddle with the terminal and all that.. who knows, maybe my opinion will change in the coming years, but seeing how it is now, looks like going backwards in technology
I am not sure.. but you are likely doing something wrong here. You do know that you don't need to use the command line at all if you don't like to? Hell i like the command line but still don't use it much. It's just now whit maemo i am doing it more frequent and thats because i am hacking with a lot more.

Sure.. some ppl will always have problems installing it but when it is running it is running better than anything els. It's more easy to personalize and are often more secure. Thats why my father liked it by the way.. the security. Before i got a call from him about once a month.. now i can't remember last time he called with a computer problem.

Just take a look at www.gnome-look.org to see how your desktop could look. You can change everything. My desktop are far more beautiful than any Mac or Windows machine.

Originally Posted by spoonbuddy View Post
Meego and all other widget based OS's are the future, I have no doubt of that, and as manufacturers bring out more and more connected devices, Windows will have to change.
Exactly what I mean , add that Meego may verticalize a bit the market and should always be upgradable and all is done.

(this does not mean it's the better future for gnu/linux)

Anyway on the "traditional" side I think that ubuntu is doing a great work providing some features missing on other distros.

Like everyone else typically coming from a Windows background and asking this question they always assume that

"OS Market" equals "Windows Home Users"

I am sure nearly everyone uses Google and some reports put Googles server farm at over 400,000 Linux based servers.

Additionally many netbooks and phones use Linux primarily and if not an entire Linux stack then many people use Open Source technologies without even realising it such as Google or embedded systems such as Routers, Televisions, PVR's etc.

Linux is already ubiquitous, just not as often used by "Windows Home Users"

Given the number of attacks on the Open Source model from various directions such as patents, trolls, baseless lawsuits etc it is clear the competition already regards it as a serious threat and has done for many years.

Personally I have been M$ free for nearly 8 years and using Open Source is like a breath of pure fresh clean air.

The N900 helps promote this infrastructure and as more developers make their code run on these devices, home users may want to run the same apps on their home PC's.

It is not for nothing that most mainstream distributions setup dual boot with Windows very easily such as OpenSuse, Ubuntu and many others.

So to your question, I think it is meaningless in any measurable way.

rgds

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to uTMY For This Useful Post:

Tags
linux, macintosh, operating, os wars, supremacy, system, windows