Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post
Wars have a clear objective... Eg. To steal oil. but i mean we all are fans of things but i believe imo that when you defending something which has holes and are bad yet(you cannot stand up and say. Yes you are right. This does need improving) acting like a bigshot its stupid. I mean if hardcore fanboyism say google. Nokia or microsoft were adding somemoney why not. But people are getting on like ijustine and her apple fangirl trash. Which i enjoy every now and then
This is not a war. A war would imply a fight. This is not a fight, this is simply slaughter. Nokia continues to screw up badly by scheduling a release date on a holiday when all the stores are closed. Online sales at Amazon were the only place it sold well, and I suspect it won't sell well for long. Let's see what the people that bought it think of this already-outdated thing.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
This is not a war. A war would imply a fight. This is not a fight, this is simply slaughter. Nokia continues to screw up badly by scheduling a release date on a holiday when all the stores are closed. Online sales at Amazon were the only place it sold well, and I suspect it won't sell well for long. Let's see what the people that bought it think of this already-outdated thing.

NOKIA presence in US is nonexistent. To even do well on Amazon is a good accomplishment so far, when we are talking about a device that rightly pointed is not most advanced. They slashed the prices and ATT wants another manufacturer to compete with iphone. This will help, until next itineration of MS will take NOKIA to a new level and hopefully be more competitive from specs perspecitve.

I think that you are wrong. Pepople will like the simplicity and smoothness. 99% of the people care for few simple things and this phone delivers. It may not be a huge seller, but it will at least give NOKIA a foothold into the US market and help them re-introduce themselves. I think their strategy will payoff. At least Lumia 900 is making some waves.

Meego is dead..... and so is everything Maemo... and it is too late to even be reborn again...

I have been a brief member of this community last year, and enjoyed every minute of it... enjoyed every bit of my N900... posted here like a fanatic... and most of all I was in love.... mad deep and blind love to maemo, meego and the image of the ideal nokia phone....

last 5 months I have been literally busy like hell, in work and personal stuff... still using my phone, but with no time to post on the community

till a month ago, I moved to a new job in USA (from middle east), and got a blackberry from company... For all practical purposes, blackberry is thousand degrees dumber than N900... even the UI is not half as convenient (e.g. in N900 you could simply click on a contact on desktop and it presented you options to skype him rightaway)....

BUT, for practical life in general, it is a dumbphone which fits my purpose... calls are simple. Email is out of the box and *always* works (no delays, no hangs)... no unexpected restarts..no battery deaths all of a sudden. ... it has simple applications like YP which search local listings like a nearby coffee shop etc... the google maps is awesome and complements the AT&T voice navigator well (N900 had awesome but tied down nokia maps, screw you nokia).... facebook and twitter integration is awesome.... so for all things that a human needs to stay in touch with other humans - it is perfect (apart from VOIP).

After I got used to the shitty UI and dumber phone, I actually found it really reliable and convenient... and realized how much I didnt miss my N900....

But still my N900 will stay with me forever... if the blackberry is the Honda Civic (a daily commuter car), the N900 is the Jaguar (awesome car but with its share of unreliability and high maintenance)

Last edited by IcyMoustache; 2012-04-11 at 03:13.

....aMeeGo IS DEAD

Goto http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:ARM for its older cousin. He's not as "spunky" and doesn't work (on many devices), but given the right motivation (drivers), he's just the same as that Mexican.

This is him working without any motivation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZsdZb67tqM

I'm flattered

I don't really get what this thread is about. Those who want Meego - go and use Mer and Co (that's Meego today). Those who don't, what is there to discuss?

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
sick and tired of smartphone war anyway.

I just readed about upcoming S40 devices and realised also those ****ing rumors about upcoming Meltemi devices is plain wrong.

Its only lowend S40 devices who doesnt even have Qt support. WTF!? So what the **** did happens to Nokias billion strategy and Qt?

Yes I know Qt is alive and kicking but no company is using it except some FOSS related companys like raspberry PI and some upcoming KDE tablet. I personally will buy both PI and KDE tablet but still its NOT enought...

Nokia just make me pissed. Also those Android fanboyish in this damn forum. You guys have to realise Android sucks also bigtime and Google is just another evilcompany like Microsoft.

I want Qt as an european alternative but right now its just TALK! TALK TALK TALK!!! but no devices using it Except some ****ing broken Symbian Belle **** devices. Only one good device is using Qt and that is N9 but whom will write apps for N9 in the long run when ashole company doesnt support it!?
Dude my feelings exactly. How hard can it be to use Qt in those S40 devices or introduce meltemi? But were talking about Nokia here to them breathing must be hard. And argh Qt is not just an alternative it's the best one in the market but still noone uses it ffs. Let alone the fact that Europe is becoming more and more technologically dependent on the states. I mean the last 2 giants here were probably Nokia and siemens and the one got sold to an american company, the worst one possible if that wasn't enough and nobody did anything but politicians here are too busy sucking bankers dick than caring about the future.

And don't get me started on android every time I see people trying to get ice cream sandwich or honeycomb or w/eon the n9 or n900 I get pissed. Because first if you need/want android there's ****load of devices with it and it's fully working not crippled

The Following User Says Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
NOKIA presence in US is nonexistent. To even do well on Amazon is a good accomplishment so far, when we are talking about a device that rightly pointed is not most advanced. They slashed the prices and ATT wants another manufacturer to compete with iphone. This will help, until next itineration of MS will take NOKIA to a new level and hopefully be more competitive from specs perspecitve.

I think that you are wrong. Pepople will like the simplicity and smoothness. 99% of the people care for few simple things and this phone delivers. It may not be a huge seller, but it will at least give NOKIA a foothold into the US market and help them re-introduce themselves. I think their strategy will payoff. At least Lumia 900 is making some waves.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post

> Agreed, it took me some time to analyze and understand Just what it is Microsoft-Nokia is trying to do, So i had to understand from point one, And you are right... WIndows phone is amimed at first time Users, thats why Ms is using Metro-UI, i mean no hardcore- Iphone, Android user would like this,

And if you notice, the price was brought Low... So that those who could not afford a smartphone can, So the reason most hardcore fans don't like it is because it's not aimed at them.

To be honest, I'm being positive about Ms-Nokia, Because people were attacking them so much, Me included it made my Sympathetic to them and now i want to see them do well, OFC they are just a business so i'm not going to out of my way to glorify a windows phone, But i'm being Hopeful, i do think windows phone can do well, But first, they must change their marketing tactics,

-- the way the Lumias are advertised do not make it look very nice, I saw a samsung Note advert (UK) and that was so good...
I think danramos, windows phone is not aimed at you, this is why you don't like it, it is aimed at first time users and people who like simple/fast... thus the Metro-UI, i believe the Idea is to get first time users To learn window phone and stay loyal to it.

So i agree with Lumia Man, Nokia has climbed a mountain, so i will give them a round of applause, Firstly because i live in Europe, and Nokia is one of the last European global phone manufactures. and secondly because i would like to see how windows Phone evolves, I'm not going to lie, I like the simple interface of windows phone - sometimes, Like, eg in the Thread Messenger, and the simplicity of the Keyboard(In portrait mode), But windows phone is not aimed at me there are things i dislike, it is aimed at first time users of a smart-phone and those who like simple.
I do think android will fall soon or start going down, Not because i'm being a fanboy, but because it is over saturated, that is what happens, IE Myspace, Hi5, AOL, Apple (Yes i know the data of the activations) that is what over saturation does, People long to be different.

Last edited by Ashbeck; 2012-04-11 at 09:11.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashbeck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
MeeGo as a brand and as a project is stone dead. Nokia is as well looking to have a tendency to focus more on the central Nokia brand (see Ovi-debranding) instead of specific OS lines, so we probably wouldn't ever see any 'MeeGo' phones again. MeeGo.com efforts has stalled practically.

The MeeGo code efforts is well and alive in Mer project and Tizen IVI (but not Handset!). The code and effort that went into MeeGo is in no way wasted, as the code is reused in many different projects around the open (and closed?) source community.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2012-04-11 at 09:30.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Another reason why MeeGo is dead:
http://www.gsmarena.com/lumia_900_fo...-news-4075.php

- and why Nokia isn't..
This was very promising until i read this

Nokia warns of losses in first and second quarters
>Shares in Nokia plunged 17% after the mobile phone giant suprised investors by saying it expected to make losses in the first half of 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17678806

And then i read this.

Bug hits new Nokia Lumia 900 smartphone
A software bug in the latest Nokia smartphone is causing some handsets in the US to occasionally lose their data connection, the company has said.
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17675319

I want to see nokia do well, but this is getting a bit strange, Really? Really?... ether the board at nokia are trying to sink their own ship.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashbeck For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, it's undead, maemo's dead, meego's dead, r-d-f, tizen lives, winding down