Notices

[This text has been posted to http://etrunko.blogspot.com/2009/03/canola-is-free.html]

I'm pleased to announce that I've just closed bug #3881, which means that from now on Canola and all its components are licensed under the GNU General Public License version 3.

The source code of the former closed-source packages, Atabake, Download Manager, Terra and Canola, has been uploaded to our gitorious server a few hours ago.

The canola-devel mailing list for developers is already set up and working on garage. Everyone is very welcome to join us in the development of the project. For documentation, such as installation instructions, build dependency, and so on, I'm setting up a wiki that should go online by the end of this week under the openbossa.org domain.

With all this, Canola officially leaves the beta status. The packages of for the final 2.0.0 version will be uploaded soon, together with brand new Maemo-EFL.

Last, I'd like to thank everyone for supporting the project even before the very first release and especially for providing feedback on the various releases we had since December 2007. If today we were able to release Canola as Free Software, consider yourself responsible for it as well.

Best Regards, Etrunko.

The Following 62 Users Say Thank You to etrunko For This Useful Post:
Congratulations !

From the discussions I had with Marcelo in Berlin I gather it was far, far from trivial to obtain this result. Kudos to the entire team for being patient and persistent... and for a great product of course :-)

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Thank you for your effort!!

This is great news. Congrats

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Yes thanks to all for the effort in moving this from beta to release. I must also comment on the interface as this is one of the most pleasant things about the software.

I assume that the new version supports many more codecs?

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
The Canola project has been a phenomenal effort and I for one am very, very grateful.

I am sure the Canola team is immensely proud of its achievement, and rightly so.

Thanks to everyone concerned.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Thanks Canola team! Now I hope the community steps up and starts improving it even more.

Yep, just noticed this yesterday while cruising around at Maemo.org. Didn't realize it wasn't free before, but I'm glad to see it's become so now.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Italy
Thank all the team for the project.
Since canola does not have anymore a subforum I think should be better pratice keep all the posts in just one thread: I feel pointless have hundred of different thread with few posts each
just my 2eurocents

Flip Alarm Clock - 3DMania Theme - Synesthesia - Deluxepain
http://ciroip.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/ciroippolito

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Congrats to the Canola Team! I was excited about Canola before I even got my NIT, and seeing it released Free to the world is awesome. You folks have done an amazing job so far, and I hope to see it get even better in the future.