After reading this http://iphonetheif.blogspot.com/2010...heif-bust.html (yes its an iphone)

i thought it would be good if something like this was available on the N900, although I assume (and hope) all of us n900 users are insured one way or another, it would be nice to have something that allows us to help recover our beloved devices without having to go through the hassle that is involved in getting a replacement.

Sorry if theres a thread already like this.

Last edited by chemist; 2010-02-01 at 03:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to tobylee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Lima-Perú
ye look for it 1st ^^

btw really nice story

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
wheres the link to brainstorm item so I can vote for it?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Haha, awesome story!
And I totally agree that a sophisticated anti-theft app is not only a cool feature, but a must have thing!

As far as I know currently there is no such application for N900.
But I remember 2 threads covering that topic:

N900 Security

Anti-theft solution?

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
related http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=42876 if you want to track indoors aswell, BTS triangulation may be used too.

I got robbed a few weeks ago, the theives took the SIM card out a minute later (no internet connections to call back and no getting SMS) and turned the phone off. Luckly I called the cops, got in the patrol car and caught the bastards. But I realized that the best solution if using some program is to disable the power button (with a code?) and use screwes to seal the battery/sim card.

So my opinion is that using a software is mostly not practical. Did think of planting a GPS transmitter but that's too expensive.

easier solution is to have the phone send a text to a backup number when new simcard inserted, replying to this text with a code such as tracker followed by a key could result in a reply text with info such asd gps co-ords

The Following User Says Thank You to meandu229 For This Useful Post: