Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Actually... I gotta say that the codebase for Maemo stayed the same whereas WP7 is a "1.0" product. Both aren't better than the predecessors - if you think so, it's only marginally so.

And yet... that's who combined. Nokia + Microsoft. Both hadn't improved their chances by combining their forces.
I think MS did improve their chances, whereas Nokia completely destroyed theirs. Without Nokia WP would be completely irrelevant now instead of just declining. On the other hand Nokia are now doing worse than expected. Everybody knew that MS had more to gain from the deal than Nokia did but Elop was totally oblivious to this. All he saw was the short-term "billions" in cash while he destroyed his brand.

I've got to ask, how do you know how much the codebase for WP changed? we are not given that luxury like we are on Maemo. In fact WP shares a lot of bugs from WM so there was speculation that it was mostly WM 6.5 reskined. Ofcourse nobody can check this because it's not possible to do so. As for WP being "1.0" personally I would say it's still beta. The released Nokia WPs I've seen have had rather major bugs in them. Disappearing keyboards, phantom data, battery issues. Even with the Lumia 900, I saw a major connection bug. Releasing one phone, in one region, on one carrier with data connection issues, you would think that would have shown up in QA.

Looks like a few more cogs have been turning than we may have though... Nokia to announce its first manufacturing plant in Vietnam

Meltemi plant maybe?

Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
another sad story:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...83B0X520120412

"At the moment it seems that the strategic decisions were not correct," said Timo Rothovius, Chairman of the Finnish Shareholders Union, which represents small-cap local investors who have increased their holdings during the freefall.

"It might be that the Windows phones still take off, but at the moment it is hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel. Something radical has to be done. The company's credibility in the market is weak, and it suggests that maybe betting everything on one card wasn't a good thing," Rothovius said.

Big losses followed by Moody's downgrade on Monday:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47073404...s-us_business/

If they can start a new dev infrastructure around Maemo, now's the time. If not, $hitty Android could get their mitts. Terrible planning, Elop has. Plan B needed asap for the good of Nokia.

Need I remind everyone, Nokia's designs/hardware are still amazing. I would prefer that the company do well, so that Maemo has a chance to take off in the future, if not now.

Originally Posted by Maemomd View Post
Big losses followed by Moody's downgrade on Monday:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47073404...s-us_business/

If they can start a new dev infrastructure around Maemo, now's the time. If not, $hitty Android could get their mitts. Terrible planning, Elop has. Plan B needed asap for the good of Nokia.

Need I remind everyone, Nokia's designs/hardware are still amazing. I would prefer that the company do well, so that Maemo has a chance to take off in the future, if not now.
It's too little too late. They don't have the time or resources to relaunch another OS. If they launch anything it will be outdated from the getgo. Elop also cannot afford to admit he made a mistake at this stage so Nokia will probably die slowly.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Elop also cannot afford to admit he made a mistake at this stage so Nokia will probably die slowly.
I suppose Elop wouldn't mind. The locust would enjoy its bonuses and move on to the next company to grab some more.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
I know that when I use N900 and N9, the experience on these devices is subpar to what you get with Android and iphone. Period. Sales prove it. Now, if you are talking about being able to customize, etc., sure nice devices, but no good for where you make money: the COMMON consumer.
if the sales is low for N9 it is because it got no money to marketing the device instead those money got to the Lumia!

And dont come say WP is more ready than Harmattan is! If so why the **** doesnt Lumia 800 have NFC? Why doesnt they release a better camera? The list goes on.

The only reason Lumia may sell better for the endusers is MARKETING! People doesnt even know that the HW in Lumia 800 is less good than N9 in many cases: camera, display and also the body. Still they buy Lumia instead. And way is that? I give you the answer: Simply because the salespeople say "oh you should go for Lumia its better blablabla". Second reason and the most stupid reason is: Nokia does not WANT to sell Nokia N9

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-04-17 at 20:43.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
if the sales is low for N9 it is because it got no money to marketing the device instead those money got to the Lumia!

And dont come say WP is more ready than Harmattan is! If so why the **** doesnt Lumia 800 have NFC? Why doesnt they release a better camera? The list goes on.

The only reason Lumia may sell better for the endusers is MARKETING! People doesnt even know that the HW in Lumia 800 is less good than N9 in many cases/camera/display and also the body) still they buy Lumia instead. And way is that? I give you the answer: Simply because the salespeople say "oh you should go for Lumia its better blablabla"
Also: Lumia costs 1$, N9 400-500$

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Also: Lumia costs 1$, N9 400-500$
$1, b/c Nokia is -$220 per phone. Nokia is currently losing a crapload of money from their current promotion, with subsidies and this rebate. If this doesn't take off, Nokia is going to get hit hard.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post

The only reason Lumia may sell better for the endusers is MARKETING! People doesnt even know that the HW in Lumia 800 is less good than N9 in many cases: camera, display and also the body. Still they buy Lumia instead. And way is that? I give you the answer: Simply because the salespeople say "oh you should go for Lumia its better blablabla". Second reason and the most stupid reason is: Nokia does not WANT to sell Nokia N9
Honestly, the N9 is nothing special. It is slow and lags. The Lumia is better in that respect, much better. Nokia could just put ICS on all their N9s and Lumias and the sales would sky rocket. That's the truth, and obviously something is wrong with the strategy at Nokia. I'm not saying they should put ICS on their devices, but the prices must come down to make them competitive.

Tags
backdoors, buysomethinelse, danrantos, goodbye nokia, lumiadork, lumiaturd, nsa_cia_lumia, seasons in sun