No doubt Maemo 5 is the pinnacle of usefully integrated multitasking that actually works.

I don't have anything against android not having real multitasking and only allowing select apps to actually run.

I have EVERYTHING against the HOME button and that useless list of recent apps!
So far all I have found is this: http://www.appbrain.com/app/it.mp.multitask
-useless use of screen estate (one bar for both closed/paused and running apps)
-uncomfortable long press of "search" to start
-uncomfortable long press to close apps
-should allow use of HOME button but this didn't work for me

And the purpose of this thread:
Finding the best task manager for android
-something that can be started from the HOME button
-instant change of apps and close (x)

I'm not requesting anything spectacular like the "windows" we have on maemo.
Just a simple task manager that replaces the "recent" view, separates paused from running and places a small (x) for closing.

Do I really ask that much?

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
No such thing on Android. Task manger to close apps and Running/Paused App Selector are not the same in android. For closing the apps I prefer ES Task Manager its got some nice features including closing app when screen goes dark. Also it can be opened from notification bar and has a widget to close items.

Edit: Moved to Alternatives Section.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
No doubt Maemo 5 is the pinnacle of usefully integrated multitasking that actually works.

I don't have anything against android not having real multitasking and only allowing select apps to actually run.

I have EVERYTHING against the HOME button and that useless list of recent apps!
So far all I have found is this: http://www.appbrain.com/app/it.mp.multitask
-useless use of screen estate (one bar for both closed/paused and running apps)
-uncomfortable long press of "search" to start
-uncomfortable long press to close apps
-should allow use of HOME button but this didn't work for me

And the purpose of this thread:
Finding the best task manager for android
-something that can be started from the HOME button
-instant change of apps and close (x)

I'm not requesting anything spectacular like the "windows" we have on maemo.
Just a simple task manager that replaces the "recent" view, separates paused from running and places a small (x) for closing.

Do I really ask that much?
I suspect you'll get far better results asking this from Android forums, too. I'm not sure how to answer your questions but I'll be darned if someone on those forums wouldn't have answers.

Well by default it looks just like symbian. But on symbian task managers had (everything I tried) the ability to integrate themselves instead of the default task manager and run directly from the home button.

This would be an example of jbak on symbian.

So far all the (one result) I have is from XDA but to customize the home button it seems custom firmwares are required.

I'm planning/researching right now and planning to get the i9000 once I've sold my N900 but the task management is a real bugger so far...

r all the (one result) I have is from XDA but to customize the home button it seems custom firmwares are required.
But I thought the home button in Android just called up the desktop manager (Experience)? Since you CAN replace the desktop interface without a new firmware, I find it hard to believe you'd need firmware to catch the trap/interrupt/vector/whatever the desktop is using to get called when that key is pressed.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Home key calls up Desktop, Shows a mini version of all desktops for quick selection and brings up task manager depending on when and how you press it.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~

This would be an example of jbak on symbian.
Wow, that screenshot really brings back memories..

Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
Home key calls up Desktop, Shows a mini version of all desktops for quick selection and brings up task manager depending on when and how you press it.
Well by home I mean the middle button and long pressing it it brings up the built in task manager.
So far I haven't found anything on XDA besides multitask manager.
It's pointless to have a secondary task man that doesn't display anything nor differentiate running from not running.

So till now MultitaskManager comes close but it's still a clumsy attempt to what I am used to.

Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
You're describing the HTC Experience desktop. I'm using Motorola Droid where I'm using the Google Experience desktop (the default desktop for Android). Home key calls up the desktop or the last six applications. In Froyo (2.2), hold down the app key brings up the mini versions of all desktops.

Well by home I mean the middle button and long pressing it it brings up the built in task manager.
So far I haven't found anything on XDA besides multitask manager.
It's pointless to have a secondary task man that doesn't display anything nor differentiate running from not running.

So till now MultitaskManager comes close but it's still a clumsy attempt to what I am used to.
I've been using Advanced Task Killer (ATK) as my manager. You can bring it up from the drop-down status bar. Then long-hold an app and choose to switch to it. (Or kill it, or whatever else you want to do to it)

Tags
android, multitasking