Originally Posted by specc View Post
[...]

Add: WM had 2-3 % market share at a time when smartphones had 5-10 % market share. Now WP has 1% market share when smartphones have 60% market share. You cannot compare market share like that. WM was "big" in a completely different world, smartphone vise.
the 2-3% figures were 2010
not a decade ago
back then, BB & NOKIA Communicator had filled the market & m$ barely got crumbles >¦-)
not that they are ever going to get much more then that.
the 4 to 5 % market share in Germany 2 years ago (WM) was probably the culmination ¦-)))))))))))))))

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Just check their last intro to Asha (mwc was it, or...), cheap phones with most expected features for cheap(for now) markets. With their quality HW they will build their brand much better than iOS for the communist party members as a sign of power/influence. We're not talking about the BMW riding class of chinese, but mass users. This is where the fight is now.Some 300 mil opf adults using phones, not 300 mil including children and elderly
The iPhone brand is bigger than Nokia in china now

http://www.china.org.cn/business/201...t_23742948.htm

And Nokia didn't do so well in china last year

http://www.techinasia.com/nokia-2011...g-sales-china/

we would have to wait and see whether this is a trend. My guess is that they will start to lose more low end sales to ZTE and Huawei phones as they become much cheaper.

Interesting. I'm not saying this is cemented, but the war (not a battle over US) is fought on these markets, and I cannot see iPhone cheaper-edition taking those by storm. While they have cheap-*** producers there (as mentioned above) quality is still king in markets where your purchase has to work for next two years (Nokia 1st in this dept, chinese have some steps to cover)

The greatest laugh is at the "apps are king" crowd. Most localized for current users apps will be a goner once US+EU hit their real <10% userbase/margin/relevance in smartphone division. Africa+Asia got around 8x more to offer, facebook customer base will be dwarfved by one chinese social network alone, add India to thatg mess... see where I'm going. If handful (in comparison to populace) of chinese devs start going for WP war is won. (anybody else noticed some latest developments like chinese/HK language for N9 coming from channels that have jibberish in comments, not to mention audio???) If Jobs had a plan for iOS, its gone, except for reiterating my status by having expensive as hell phone, with current markety heading for 10% only android and WP are left

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
So AT&T is throwing USD 150 million into marketing Lumia 900. Nokia was going to spend USD 250 million on marketing Lumia, with special emphasis on USA.

MS can be expected to throw something in as well.

So somewhere around USD 200-400 million thrown at marketing Lumia, primarily the Lumia 900 in the US.

Let's say they sell 5 million Lumia 900's in the US, which is probably ridiculously optimistic. Then they've spent maybe, USD40-80 on marketing that thing depending on how much overlap there is between the AT&T, Nokia and MS numbers.

Add that to the USD 217 manufacturing cost, and the fact that Nokia is giving away the Lumia 900 "sold" on AT&T through April 22nd, and you end up with a per phone loss of USD 250-300. Great job Elop!

Last edited by olighak; 2012-04-12 at 19:49.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ saint lucia
Didn't believe it was true until C-Net did a little investigation of their own and discovered that at five different AT&T stores in New York, they walked in pretending to be first time buyers and all of them were introduced to the iPhone. Even when they intentionally asked for the Lumia 900, it was shrugged off, and they still were trying to be sold an iPhone. One rep even said "Windows Phone is ok, but it's no iPhone."

here's the link to the article: http://www.intomobile.com/2012/04/12...8IntoMobile%29

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
The greatest laugh is at the "apps are king" crowd.
Sadly, they are the majority in who's being catered to right now.

Most localized for current users apps will be a goner once US+EU hit their real <10% userbase/margin/relevance in smartphone division. Africa+Asia got around 8x more to offer, facebook customer base will be dwarfved by one chinese social network alone, add India to thatg mess... see where I'm going. If handful (in comparison to populace) of chinese devs start going for WP war is won. (anybody else noticed some latest developments like chinese/HK language for N9 coming from channels that have jibberish in comments, not to mention audio???) If Jobs had a plan for iOS, its gone, except for reiterating my status by having expensive as hell phone, with current markety heading for 10% only android and WP are left
And 0% going to Harmattan.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by coopere View Post
Didn't believe it was true until C-Net did a little investigation of their own and discovered that at five different AT&T stores in New York, they walked in pretending to be first time buyers and all of them were introduced to the iPhone. Even when they intentionally asked for the Lumia 900, it was shrugged off, and they still were trying to be sold an iPhone. One rep even said "Windows Phone is ok, but it's no iPhone."

here's the link to the article: http://www.intomobile.com/2012/04/12...8IntoMobile%29
That's because that's what they "know". I was just in an AT&T store, had my N9 with me and was looking at the Lumia 900.

4 references to the iPhone 4S later, I finally got them to admit they didn't know much more than iOS and perhaps Blackberry - one dude was quite knowledgable about the Android ROM scene though.

If you want to blame anything, blame the lack of marketing and the lack of proper training. Nokia is trying to turn that around in the North American market by giving the managers Lumia's but that's a bit late in my book. But it's been like that in the US for ages... no N-series being sold in normal stores for ages.

And when I finally got a phone call in the store, I had a crowd around me asking me about the N9, MeeGo, why it looks like the Lumia but seems to be different... people just didn't know.

And that was the staff with perhaps a couple of customers asking me that... majority being staff.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by specc View Post
So you love Symbian, but you hate the phone it's installed in ? You don't make much sense Grimy.
Yeah, hardware & software (including OS) are not the same thing...

I like my Asus Transformer TF-101 but dislike Android (3.2 or 4.0).

By the way, I love my N900 & Maemo 5 OS
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Yeah, hardware & software (including OS) are not the same thing...

I like my Asus Transformer TF-101 but dislike Android (3.2 or 4.0).

By the way, I love my N900 & Maemo 5 OS
How can you like/dislike a tablet? A piece of glass with some chips inside? It's the OS that makes the phone/tablet along with the chips. The HW is just design with no functionality.

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows