Active Topics

What you've ordered, is sole PCB, without even SoC on it... Unless you own mini factory, You won't be able to re-solder everything to it Also, You've damaged element on PCB, not PCB itself.

As for damaged "something" between USB port and chip itself - if establishing USB connection directly via testpads would prove itself doable - it will require tracing down exact damaged component (if shorting fuse pads doesn't help - and if You've made it correctly, not "cold" solder - You've probably just destroyed another working component, fuse), then replacing it.

It;s something I would not try without correct equipment (how do you want to check every small element between port and chip - you may test resistors etc, but do you know meaning of *all* element, to test them correctly?), even given the fact that I feel comfortable with soldering small things.

If You can't find repair centre in Your place, find it more far away. It's probably only one thing You can do now, instead of dealing even more damage to Your N900.

As last resort, You may sell it - stating that USB isn't working and it's not cause of broken USB port, but serious motherboard damage - add some $$$ and buy new one. It may result in same ammount of additional money needed, that repairing motherboard in repair center.

Sorry, but if it's not a fuse, I think no one here will be able to help You.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Well, i just answered about the marketing words, not the actual mainboard.

But it wouldnt suprise me if it is branded as lg/samsung or maybe even apple and has android installed or something else like that. But it isnt so uncommon for chinese pages to have the wrong picture too, or one common picture for everything.
-We will see when it arrives

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
Well, i just answered about the marketing words, not the actual mainboard.

But it wouldnt suprise me if it is branded as lg/samsung or maybe even apple and has android installed or something else like that. But it isnt so uncommon for chinese pages to have the wrong picture too, or one common picture for everything.
-We will see when it arrives
HAHAHA yes they are a bit thick but they have got a lot better in the last few years to at least get a pic half right but that board looks unpopulated so it could be a little problem to say the least haha.

OK.. thank you all guys. especially estel who explained a lot of things to me.

Now my current plan is to buy another n900 in cheap price.. I have found one. need to contact the seller if he still has it or not.. and check if everything in the bottom half works fine.. then replace the board with my n900 and sell the damaged one in quite reasonable price stating usb charging doesnt work.. and putting some attractive offers like extra battery and external charger.

I guess I need to cancel the crappy pcb from china. As estel said, I cant go on soldering each and every stuffs in the pcb. or if it cant be cancelled then wait for it to arrive and see it... (maybe loss of some good money).

The Following User Says Thank You to avasz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by avasz View Post
hen replace the board with my n900
I think I don't get what you mean here. If You want to have Your files on new N900, it's better to just use Backupmenu, do rootfs/optfs backup, restore it on new phone (just remember that kernel isn't backuped, if You use power-kernel, you must install it manually, before restoring backup on new phone), and place content of MyDocs manually on new phone.

I think that replacing damaged PCB with new PCB from already 100% working phone is quite bad idea. Not that You can't do it, but not much reasons for it. Except I've misunderstood something.

I'm glad I've been of some help, but I'm sure other people here helped as much. Just one thing - please, don't scam anyone stating that USB port doesn't work for unknown reason - 100% of people will think it's loose USB port issue. It's really better to say that You're sure USB port isn't broken or loose - let anyone buying know what she/he is buying.

Someone buying N900 now is probably FOSS enthusiast - maybe even from this board - and that would be really "dicky" to scam one

---

electroaudio, PCB he bought is ~6%. I don't believe it contain *any* chip on it. It's just plain PCB, without elements - if it's true at all.

buying N900 PCB for 6$ would be least expensive 32GB on the world, not to mention other elements like processor
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Sorry for no updates.. well I was busy yesterday looking for a cheap used n900 in market. I found one for about 222 USD. (Rs. 16,000 in my currency).

Originally Posted by Estel View Post

I think that replacing damaged PCB with new PCB from already 100% working phone is quite bad idea. Not that You can't do it, but not much reasons for it. Except I've misunderstood something.
Well, The reason behind it is.. My n900 (the damages one) is pretty new.. I bought it about 20 days earlier without a single scratch, except for right key (maybe the previous owner used to play some games). And the one I bought now is full of scratches and wear and tear marks. I hope that clears the "misunderstanding"

Also, I have checked more than 3 n900s before i bought the first one.. and in all I have never seen any applications installed from Application Manager. Nobody in my place wants a n900 because most of them dont know how to use it, they just go for a jailbroken iPhone which is far easier to use without any basic knowledge at all.

I see, of course using better cover makes sense.

Anyway, I've bought mine for about 140$, in perfect condition and screen protector applied from the beginning. So, I'm not quite sure if Your purchase was a good deal, but, anyway, it's better than not having N900 at all

good luck, and be *extremely* careful, when You'll be in process of putting PCB/screen in Your "old" cover.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Originally Posted by avasz View Post
I have seen and read threads related to usb not working due to broken usb ports, but I have a bit different situation. I was making a home made usb charger... but seems that I had reversed the polarity and damaged/destroyed my USB port's connection with outer world.

Dr_frost_dk suggested me to connect the fuse terminals as fuse may have been wasted. I broke the fuse and connected the two terminals with solder itself... Still the usb doesnt seem to work.

Does anyone know what the problem maybe? or what else could have been damaged due to that reverse polarity. Also any alternatives to data transfer as well as chargin.

I would be happy if at least I could charge using the same port. For data transfer I can use scp, bluetooth etc etc.

I amfollowing this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71414

hi man i have the same problen than you
you encounter a way to fix your cellphone ? , or you simple but another bad n900 to replace the pcb ?

how you fix your problem ?

thanks for all

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Stuttgart/Germany
Hi,

I also burned a fuse once during reversed polarity years ago. Must also been late at night Well here you got a part of the layout, where the fuse should be "F5300" (F stands for fuse)

Nevermind if already solved, I didn't read everything...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...usb-layout.png
Attached Images