Active Topics

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
As a blogger myself, I see this as encroaching on our territory.
What is proposed here is a weekly digest of community activity, modelled loosely after LWN. If you have a look at the LWN archives you'll see they're nothing like your blog (or any other Maemo-related one at the moment). If any blogs were providing this data Jaffa wouldn't have to propose this in the first place.

I don't see any conflict, and if "MWN" happens it will probably also be a good source of material for the bloggers.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Since I spend most of my maemo time in bugzilla, I could forward any interesting developments from there.

maemo.org username: lma
Position wanted: contributor
Channels you follow: bugzilla & mailing lists (mainly lurking since 2005), talk/planet/wiki less religiously.
Two or three links you'd've posted in the last 2 weeks:

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
For those who've volunteered, or potentially interested in sub-editing but not sure what it'd entail, I've outlined a bit about how I think contributors' posts will be managed by sub-editors (and the content/HTML used to render them) here:

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...er/003363.html

Hopefully, the examples I gave will dissuade anyone that I'm trying to take away from the irregular, deep, long articles posted on blogs with the regular, shallow (but broad), short articles part of MWN.

As has been pointed out, by digging out the diamonds in the rough, this'll help bloggers uncover news snippets they'd otherwise been unaware of. And, if their own content gets included in the digest, it'll drive more views to their own sites (and hence revenue streams).

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
I'll chime in, as I somewhat see Christexaport's point (though I don't know I would word it the same. )

It sounds as if this is aiming to be somewhat of a refinement of Planet Maemo, only less automated and more intentional?

What about something like the Carnival of the Mobilists? It's a user-organized weekly column that is hosted on various participating sites each week (as well as a link on a central site, to aid discovery). The idea is that one participant hosts each week, and the others post a mention, as well.

We had an interesting discussion about this at Nokia World 2009, or something similar, as sites such as Nokia Conversations have begun doing their own unboxings, reviews, and such (typically bloggers' 'territory'). Bloggers such as myself and Christexaport find it encroaching, while the companies obviously enjoy greater control.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcadden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
It sounds as if this is aiming to be somewhat of a refinement of Planet Maemo, only less automated and more intentional?
Sort of. With smaller summaries, people not opting-in and the contributors going out to find content on blogs which may not be on Planet; buried in Talk threads etc.

We had an interesting discussion about this at Nokia World 2009, or something similar, as sites such as Nokia Conversations have begun doing their own unboxings, reviews, and such (typically bloggers' 'territory'). Bloggers such as myself and Christexaport find it encroaching, while the companies obviously enjoy greater control.
Indeed; but this isn't content generation: it's content aggregation. There was a suggestion above, and it kind of comes through in your point, that this is a maemo.org or Nokia thing. I'm just some guy, y'know. No affiliations to Nokia, the Community Council (although I wish we'd had this idea when we could've claimed credit for it, although perhaps there was less use for it before) or maemo.org (apart from it being the home of the Maemo community).

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Jaffa -

I understand that it would not be affiliated with Nokia or Maemo - no problems there. I don't really have a problem with your idea, either, honestly. I mean, competition is always good for the end consumer, anyways - it would just make bloggers such as Christexaport and myself have to work harder.

I think, though, that it came across a bit like you saying that the various 'maemo bloggers' (using the term to describe anyone who has setup a blog around maemo, regardless of intent/quality/etc) aren't doing a good enough job, and you think you could do it better, or organize people who think they could do it better.

While that's immediately offensive, as I said earlier, the competition should only serve to make bloggers work harder.

(we bloggers are an egotistical bunch, btw. )

The Following User Says Thank You to rcadden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Winchester, UK
I think, though, that it came across a bit like you saying that the various 'maemo bloggers' (using the term to describe anyone who has setup a blog around maemo, regardless of intent/quality/etc) aren't doing a good enough job, and you think you could do it better, or organize people who think they could do it better.
I don't think this would "compete" with your (or anyone elses) blog much - Linux Weekly News doesn't compete with blogs about Linux. If you're saying interesting, informative or insightful things then isn't it more likely to drive traffic to your blog by highlighting it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonquark For This Useful Post:
I mean, competition is always good for the end consumer, anyways - it would just make bloggers such as Christexaport and myself have to work harder.

I don't think there's any competition involved or offense meant. AIUI MWN would be complementary to blogs, catching the stuff that tends to fall through the cracks.

There's currently very little reporting about what happens within the community, and it's certainly become too much work to follow all the various channels of activity. We'll probably (Jaffa correct me if I'm wrong) want to avoid consumer-oriented news (eg "N900 now shipping") since those are already covered better elsewhere and in a weekly digest would be both redundant and out of date.

Conversely, your audience probably doesn't care much about what happened this week in IRC or bugzilla.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Great initiative Jaffa!!

I just want to express my full support, and if you need something from the Council you know where to ask .

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I also think it's a great initiative. I enjoyed Wine Weekly News _a lot_ while it was alive, and hope to do so with MWN

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:

Tags
digest, get involved, news