Active Topics

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
You definitely need root.
I'd like to run as user, but unfortunately I'm also way too lazy; one day I'll take Qole's Easy Debian scripts and take the needed code from there.
I was wondering if anyone that has gotten debian to work has then had success running OpenOffice, Maxima, wmaxima, or latex on an android tablet or phone?

Nexus Prime anyone.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44sOtEy3xpQ
whatever it is will be sweet

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Now google will continue LG vision of a no button device which they started with the prada.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I was wondering if anyone that has gotten debian to work has then had success running OpenOffice, Maxima, wmaxima, or latex on an android tablet or phone?
I have no problems running LibreOffice. Never tried those mathematical programs.
Only thing I miss is a swap-enabled kernel - I still don't know how to get the sources and compile.

Hope today I ca shoot a video with an external cam.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
They work on easydebian for the N900 so I suspect they would work on an android phone with debian too. For latex on the N900 I installed Kile in easydebian, it takes ages to load but once it does it's fairly usable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
They work on easydebian for the N900 so I suspect they would work on an android phone with debian too. For latex on the N900 I installed Kile in easydebian, it takes ages to load but once it does it's fairly usable.
Thanks, I hope that is the case. Since it appears that Nokia will not be offering any device I'm really interested in for now, I'd like to know how well the android phones and tablets can run Debian and accompaning software found in Debian repositores that I use. For me, having this capability really set the N900 apart from all other devices. I think the nokia phones are well built, generally more innovative in design and, as a result, seemingly do more with less. On the other hand, the new androids are performing as well, or better, but by shear brute force with much faster processors and more RAM. So, while using the N900 has been a fun learning experience for me, the hardware is falling a bit behind the times and I'd like to get an upgrade. As far as I can tell, Samsung and HTC do not seem to have a problem with allowing root access on their phones so they may offer some good candidates in the near future. If the right device comes along (perhaps like the SGH I927) I'd like purchase it with the goal of making it, as much as possible, in the image of my N900.

Last edited by mscion; 2011-08-23 at 21:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Behold actual pictures of the HTC Puccini have been leaked
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/24/e...ort-confirmed/
notice in the screenshots their is a task manager and phone dialing application

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Behold actual pictures of the HTC Puccini have been leaked
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/24/e...ort-confirmed/
notice in the screenshots their is a task manager and phone dialing application
They should make OPERA the default browser on that thing. Just saying.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Finally quit arguing with myself and bought a Transformer last night. Not nearly as portable as a 7", but I am liking it. Need to root it today so I can get on to other fun stuff with it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
They should make OPERA the default browser on that thing. Just saying.
Nah they need to use Lynx as the browser

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy