Active Topics

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
So let's go back to the part where you come in then, shall we?

Anyway, this really all belongs in the community forum or brainstorm thread i linked to, and is not a new conversation.
My contribution is starting this thread, trying to start a discussion. My contribution has also been to contribute to brainstorming, suggesting solutions, voting proposing ideas. I dont think you should be questioning that.

edit - The point is people seem to be able to suggest good ideas but there arent many programmers. I think part of the problem is lack of monetary gain - ie no paid ovi store for Maemo yet - which is madness. Not sure what Nokia are playing at. This seems to be severely limiting Maemo 5.

Where is the seed funding from Nokia - as they have done for S60 - does this exist? (maybe it does!?)

Last edited by chrisp7; 2010-03-02 at 23:04.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Ironically, since we're agreed that what is lacking is the actual development, all of that is not actually helping resolve the problem. :P

TBH in spite of having done some moderation of the brainstorm forum and proposed and voted, i don't spend much time in brainstorm. I guess that comes from realizing that there's plenty of that going on and that even the rudimentary programming skills i have are a better employed than moving incoherent proposal threads out to pasture.

We have gone around a few times in this discussion about brainstorm over the past few months, and the lack of resolution each time reflects three things: (1) the disconnect between expectations and reality, (2) a lack of resources provided by Nokia, and (3) the generally poor advertising given when solutions are facilitated by brainstorm; a lack of ongoing statistics about the process.

The commercial and fiscal considerations you brought up (#2 reason) are generally out of the scope and reach of this forum, but there's definitely a strong following of that chorus here!

#1 is going to be a perpetual problem due to human nature.

#3 is the one that perhaps we can actually address. Since you brought it up through the subject statement of this thread , did you do some digging into numbers to support the conclusion that you make? Maybe you could bring some statistics so we can see what the reality is.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Sometimes the best things to come out of brainstorms are little intangibles that stimulate something unrelated to the original issue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "Brainstorm - just a talking shop." with ten posts has been merged into this thread.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Sometimes the best things to come out of brainstorms are little intangibles that stimulate something unrelated to the original issue.
Such as? I agree Brainstorm is an awesome idea - but it just isnt working. Its really depressing - where is Maemo 5 going? Such lack of progress will turn people off. Nokia are the ones that need/should be stimulating the community.

---

I like Flanders idea about advertising - people just dont know about decent solutions/ideas. Maybe popular solutions need to be brought to the most popular forums attention somehow.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Just another example that the Brainstorm System isn't working: Bug 5982

The bug is fixed (since 2 weeks) and I asked for updating the related Brainstorm 3 days ago. But still no kind of response. (some other guys asked direktly at the Bug report before how it is fixed, also without response)

So, this is totally frustrating. I've invested many hour's in reading, writing, painting mockups to get the best solution out of the community. And now I guess no developer has ever seen the elected solution. They implemented simply their own solution.
I'm sure. No one will change it after the fixing when Nokia selected the worst solution.

I've got several good Ideas. Some written down on my phone. But no single one posted here in the last weeks, because I've had the feeling that this is only waste of my time and energy. And now, it seems it's really so!

Could someone help me to leave my depression?
Am I right? Have I done something wrong?

How could we change this situation?
Should we add a extra field at the Bug system to add links to the related Brainstorm? (this could also fix the "moved" solution problem - at the moment a Bug is only "moved" but no one knows where and it isn't reopened after the Brainstorm process is finished, IMHO we should change this situation - the solution "moved" should only be temporary - after the Brainstorm a bug should automatically reopen to follow the development until the solution is implemented)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I agree. When bugs are fixed in Bugzilla, I would like to see more details about the fix, e.g. what the new UI elements are.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
A changelog policy has to be setup for that I think (if there isnt one yet).

For this the brainstorms need to be connected to programs if it is an enhancement so maintainer gets subscribed to it and knows about the suggestions.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 417 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
I wonder if one of you gurus could develop an youtube desktop widget...

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by NightShift79 View Post
I wonder if one of you gurus could develop an youtube desktop widget...
One of the gurus is able to do so but this is the wrong thread for asking for developers to volunteer for open tasks. You may ask one of the current youtube-app maintainer for adding a widget to their app.

Tags
brainstorm, bug, community|nokia, dependencies, discussion, improvement, process, sop, workflow