Active Topics

Well in the end it comes to specific solutions too, those that have the most votes.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Think about the workflow we have.

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...t_suggestions/ is in the top of the Hot list so I put it in my priorities. It turns out that "navigation" is the hottest feature from the long list, since the two most rated solutions are related to it.

Imagine that a third party application shows up in Ovi doing just that: turn by turn navigation with voice guidance. This is a solution that even doesn't show up there, even if it would be an obvious alternative solution for a brainstorm naved e.g. "Can't use the N900 as a GPS navigator". Let's imagine that I create that solution myself only to be able to move forward in the workflow. And then resolve the brainstorm as Implemented, choosing that solution I just created.

What happens with the 19 remaining solutions that have nothing to do with Navigation?

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
Well in the end it comes to specific solutions too, those that have the most votes.
I'm confused by that statement.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Think about the workflow we have.

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...t_suggestions/ is in the top of the Hot list so I put it in my priorities. It turns out that "navigation" is the hottest feature from the long list, since the two most rated solutions are related to it.

Imagine that a third party application shows up in Ovi doing just that: turn by turn navigation with voice guidance. This is a solution that even doesn't show up there, even if it would be an obvious alternative solution for a brainstorm naved e.g. "Can't use the N900 as a GPS navigator". Let's imagine that I create that solution myself only to be able to move forward in the workflow. And then resolve the brainstorm as Implemented, choosing that solution I just created.

What happens with the 19 remaining solutions that have nothing to do with Navigation?
I'm confused by that, too.

Look, all I've been trying to convey is that we're just picking one poison over another. The current system can't properly manage Brainstorms so there's huge potential for human error. No matter what, we are utterly dependent on people to do the right thing-- be they proposal creators, solution providers, moderators, whatever.

Again: I'm still looking for an answer as to what the workflow should actually be. I see a lot of complaints about how I had (mistakenly) thought it was... but no definitive description of how everyone thinks it should be.

I'm going to bow out of this and let everyone else solve it. I'll go along with whatever is decided because frankly, my head is spinning from the discussion.

Proposal:
Let's summarize the solutions, make a TOP 3 and give the users a chance to see the others via a "see more link".
Brainstorms like calendar improvement(has a ton of "1 vote" solutions) that fail to have 3 top solutions (=with more votes than the others) within a week should be somehow downgraded.
It was in the context of keeping the brainstorms a little cleaner and organize the flow of ideas.
I see the tendency of people posting chunks of ideas in brainstorm. They have an idea, fail do develop it and simply drop it in brainstorm as a solution.

Last edited by Bec; 2010-01-17 at 13:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I just don't understand why no one said anything until now, after my instructions have been up (and wrong) for months.
As for me, I already raised comments against meta-brainstorms like portrait mode and Maps 1-2 months ago. Sorry if I didn't hit one of your proposals before, just being busy and then on holidays. The fact that we got a fast server for Brainstorm only 2 days ago also helped not finding extra time to spend waiting for pages to download.

If you notice I'm doing all this in my weekend, so still as part of pure hobby since I don't have much time to get into Brainstorm battles. But I think this is important and the drop was brought by the fact that 4 out of 10 hottest proposals at http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/ were of this kind and more are quickly growing (Application Manager, Calendar...)

All this is less of a problem if solutions could be moved under other existing or new proposals. If moderators could do this then everything would be more flexible and no solutions/ratings would be lost because of the process. Now it's not possible or at least not evident, but being all database items it should be relatively simple to fix.

Bug opened: Can't move solutions to other brainstorm proposals

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
One more thing about the "chunks of ideas", maybe we should also limit the number of solutions a user can post?

There are some very prolific users that keep adding a new post for every word that comes in their mind, instead of editing an older post that is on the same wave length...

I haven't yet seen 2 ideas in one brainstorm form the same poster that are so different from each other that they can't be expressed in the same solution.
As for users that have more than one idea on how to implement a specific function, NO! Weigh their ups and downs and post the most relevant one - before coming to brainstorm, know exactly what you want.

My brainstorming about keeping brainstorm brainy is now complete

Last edited by Bec; 2010-01-17 at 13:57.

Originally Posted by Bec View Post
As for users that have more than one idea on how to implement a specific function, NO! Weigh their ups and downs and post the most relevant one - before coming to brainstorm, know exactly what you want
Meh, it happens quite often that when you are brainstorming you have more than one idea you want to share for others to evaluate. It happens to me quite often in real life that I have my preferred option, then I also comment than an alternative would be possible... then the rest are convinced about the alternative.

This is different than lazy users posting new solutions instead of editing their current ones to improve them, yes. Then again this is not much of a big problem since Brainstorm allows you to select more than one solution.

It only becomes a hassle when you have more than a dozen of solutions already and then a new one comes adding just too little. But not even that is a real hassle in focused brainstorms with only a few solutions listed.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
But not even that is a real hassle in focused brainstorms with only a few solutions listed.
Yup but we also have long brainstorms that can simply get annoying when you see that the same individual keeps adding little bits in new posts.

There's always more ways to solving a problem but one way for one user should suffice and help brainstorms be a little more tidy.

Then there's another disturbing thing in nokia maps...
Keep navigation free and get $ via advertising????
Like how, show me pepsi commercials on half the screen when I'm driving? no thanks.
I know most users would like that but I don't see how that improves the service.
There should be rule from preventing requests like "can't we have this for free".

Tags
brainstorm, bug, community|nokia, dependencies, discussion, improvement, process, sop, workflow