Hi all!

I have my N900 for about 3 months now, and 2 days ago I noticed my camera is not focusing anymore. The Camera application can't auto-focus anything, I tried the lFocus application (that enable manual focusing) and it just doesn't change focus.
I flashed it with PR1.1 and PR1.2 again, and focus just doesn't work in any situation.
I didn't find anyone around here with the same issue, so I'm making this thread. So... does anyone have any idea about what should I do? I don't know the mechanism of the camera focus on N900 and didn't find it anywhere... but is it possible this is a hardware problem?

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by manaflow View Post
Hi all!

I have my N900 for about 3 months now, and 2 days ago I noticed my camera is not focusing anymore. The Camera application can't auto-focus anything, I tried the lFocus application (that enable manual focusing) and it just doesn't change focus.
I flashed it with PR1.1 and PR1.2 again, and focus just doesn't work in any situation.
I didn't find anyone around here with the same issue, so I'm making this thread. So... does anyone have any idea about what should I do? I don't know the mechanism of the camera focus on N900 and didn't find it anywhere... but is it possible this is a hardware problem?
lfocus known to disable the autofocus of the camera if you use the keyboard manual focus. Simply close the camera app and reopen, everything should be back to normal. Unless you installed something like BlessHDR app on your device, then you may be running into camera issues later on. So ask your self what did you do to your device?

If in doubt, send it to Nokia and let them fix it since it is still under the warranty

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I'm trying to figure it out. I installed iFocus after it stopped working. The last focused picture I have is from 14/06. Photos from 15/06 already are unfocused. And I am pretty sure that I didn't install any applications that day, and didn't bump the device anywhere. I don't know what could have happened. Bad luck maybe.
Considering I reflashed the device and it still doesn't work, I'm afraid it's really a hardware issue.
Well... anyway, thank's for the help, maxximuscool!

I'm wondering whether this issue might be a result of bug 9085 or not.

Originally Posted by direx View Post
I'm wondering whether this issue might be a result of bug 9085 or not.
Whoa. I didn't know about this bug. I really think that this is what could have happened. Oh, well. Warranty it is then.

Just to keep you all informed about this, in case someone run across the same issue I had. My N900 camera focus is working again. What did I do?

I considered that bug above, and assumed that the lens were stuck. So I took a deep breath and dropped my N900 at my bed, letting it hit a hard surface (i used a cell phone battery) at the lens area (the shutter was closed. I just needed the impact).
About 3 drops later, I tested the focus and it was moving again, but not enough to be normal. So I dropped it again a few more times and it's working fine now.

Thank's everyone for the insights, and sorry about my bad english.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manaflow For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Just to keep you all informed about this, in case someone run across the same issue I had. My N900 camera focus is working again. What did I do?

I considered that bug above, and assumed that the lens were stuck. So I took a deep breath and dropped my N900 at my bed, letting it hit a hard surface (i used a cell phone battery) at the lens area (the shutter was closed. I just needed the impact).
About 3 drops later, I tested the focus and it was moving again, but not enough to be normal. So I dropped it again a few more times and it's working fine now.

Accept my salute to your bravery and determination. ^^

Is this what your photos look like? (I've reduced the quality to make the file smaller, but the visual effect is the same).
Attached Images

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Athens, Greece

I confirm the above solution and strongly encourage everyone who experiences the same issue to give it a try.

The pictures taken lately using my N900 were out of focus, so I placed my phone on a coach (screen facing down) and hit it with a heavy book.

It is now working perfectely!

Thanks everybody!

The Following User Says Thank You to vagegr For This Useful Post:
Has anyone else confirmed this drastic solution mentioned above? i have tried hitting it abit, but its scary method to continue and not knowing how much force that needs to b applied is of no help either.