Posts: 89 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Macon, GA | Warsaw, PL | Hanoi, VN
Has anyone tried connecting a Windows 8 device to an N9 Wifi hotspot?

Recently, I have decided to get a Windows 8 tablet. I chose it over Android because the latter cannot connect to ad-hoc wifi (surprisingly, Asus Transformer pads can see and connect to the wifi, but not the internet). However, when I tried to connect to the wifi network created from my N9, the tablet could not connect. My 6-year-old MacBook and my sister's iPad 2 can connect without any problems, but the Windows tablet does not.

Additionally, after I try to unsuccessfully connect with the Windows tablet and then connect with the iPad, the latter establishes the connection with the phone, but cannot load any pages. After a while of trying to load a website, the icon on the N9 next to the iPad changes to the idle state (the one with Zzzz's).

Can anyone shed a light on this problem and help solve this issue? Thanks.

Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
I'm not sure about Windows 8, but i know my Windows 7 PC cannot use ad-hoc wifi.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
I'm not sure about Windows 8, but i know my Windows 7 PC cannot use ad-hoc wifi.
This is incorrect. I used to use Win7 on my laptop and if I used internet connection sharing it used to create an ad-hoc network and if I wanted to connect to an ad-hoc network it was the same too.

I've read on Win8 being slightly more difficult to create ad-hoc networks so I'm sure if the tablet is a Win8 Pro not RT there must be a way to connect to ad-hoc networks via some obscure method...

Not too sure if Win8 RT supports ad-hoc though I'm pretty sure just like Android devices having work-arounds to allow device to connect to ad-hoc there must be some work-around for RT too...

Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
This is incorrect. I used to use Win7 on my laptop and if I used internet connection sharing it used to create an ad-hoc network and if I wanted to connect to an ad-hoc network it was the same too.
Strange. My computer had never been able to see my N9, so I looked it up and read that it was because Windows did not recognize ad-hoc connections. If that is not the case, then I have no idea why my PC has never been able to see my N9.
(Sorry for getting off topic)

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Costa Rica
Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
Strange. My computer had never been able to see my N9, so I looked it up and read that it was because Windows did not recognize ad-hoc connections. If that is not the case, then I have no idea why my PC has never been able to see my N9.
(Sorry for getting off topic)
This is so rare because my tablet and pc are using normally my n9 hotspot

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 130 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Pakistan
Well I have succeeded in connecting Windows 8 PC to N9 Hotspot. Not sure about tablets though.

Works flawlessly with PC.

Tutorial - OpenVPN for N9

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Ad hoc networks — You can’t create an ad hoc network in Windows 8 and Windows RT, but you can connect to an ad hoc network if one is in range (unless your PC is running Windows RT). There are third-party tools for creating ad hoc networks, if you need to do this.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-in-networking

The Following User Says Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Macon, GA | Warsaw, PL | Hanoi, VN
A Windows 7 laptop is able to connect to the N9. My Windows 8 tablet is able to detect the wifi signal from N9, but cannot establish the connection.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Dinho,

You still haven't stated if your Win8 tablet is regular Win 8 or Win 8 RT... That would help steer discourse much better...

It's a Win 8 tablet, i.e. it is not an RT version.

Last edited by Dinho; 2013-03-14 at 13:40. Reason: Make an addition