Notices

I think I may have bought my N810 at exactly the wrong time.

The Wayfinder app has been pulled off the market. I wanted the NIT for many reasons but the GPS NAV was what justified the cost.

I tried to buy Wayfinder earlier this week but their web site says the product has been discontinued. Ovi Maps is now free on the N900, but it doesn't seem to be available for the N810 at all (and I have not heard good things about it). Maemo Mapper sounds great but it needs an internet connection to calculate a route, which is a pretty severe limitation.

Am I missing something?

Can any one tell me where I can get a copy of Wayfinder for the NIT?

Thanks

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
There's navit, but I don't know how functional it is on the n8x0 (I don't even know if it's available/maintained for it).

Thanks I will check it out

Originally Posted by luca View Post
There's navit, but I don't know how functional it is on the n8x0 (I don't even know if it's available/maintained for it).

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
By Wayfinder I assume you mean the built in Maps? If not, then please read below:

Maps is an app that is (was?) available for N8x0. It has routing capability without internet connection. There is (was?) 15 day free trial, after which a license needs to be purchased. Without license the Maps still works but without turn by turn navigation. (But some have experimented about reactivating the trial somehow... There was a thread here about that.)

I've had my N810 for a while, but I also was wondering about the navigation. I deleted the onboard maps for the "maps"/wayfinder application a while back. As they were on the built-in 2gb sd card, I was not able to get them back during a re-flash. I have since tried downloading them from within the application, but it always either gives me and error or takes too long and never finishes.

As far as gps applications go, there are several options for the N810. There is the ever-popular Maemo Mapper, QtMapper, or Maep. None of them offer routing, and I haven't really tested Maep that much. I believe that Maemo Mapper and QtMapper let you download "map tiles" and download instructions to a route while connected to wifi, but there is no turn by turn navigation.

I am going to put some effort into getting Navit to work, it seems to have the features I need -- mainly, offline turn-by-turn navigation.

I am also going to cross my fingers and hope Sygic gets back-ported to OS2008! Though I have not heard anything that indicates they will.

Thanks for the helpful responses.

@leecallen
you are completely right
turn-by-turn stand-alone touch-screen car navigations come new at $50.
You pay once and get licensed maps + turn-by-turn navigation generated by locally run app.

Model adopted by Nokia and others to offer licensed maps + charging for turn by turn navigation is not ok
as it violates Highway Traffic Security Regulations,
as product like that cannot be named gps car navigation
and used for car navigation as on license expiration no turn by turn navigation is provided.

What's more, some vendors misguide drivers offering mobile phone based car navigations, coming with on-line maps only, downloaded on-the-fly via GPRS, 3G .
In case of problems with maps transfer such product is useless
and can misguide drivers.

There is an urgent need for a global standard on "car navigation" to be adopted as well as new legislation on "car navigation systems" to be enacted.

Products not offering maps + turn-by-turn navigation in off-line mode should be excluded from the class of products called "car navigation".

Nokia acquired Navteq and is trying to monetise this contract but is not in a position to compete with $50 turn by turn full maps off-line mode navigations (Windows 5.0 based).

I am just trying to port MaeMaps to 2008He , so 770, N800 should be supported.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by elimoon8 View Post
I've had my N810 for a while, but I also was wondering about the navigation. I deleted the onboard maps for the "maps"/wayfinder application a while back. As they were on the built-in 2gb sd card, I was not able to get them back during a re-flash. I have since tried downloading them from within the application, but it always either gives me and error or takes too long and never finishes.

As far as gps applications go, there are several options for the N810. There is the ever-popular Maemo Mapper, QtMapper, or Maep. None of them offer routing, and I haven't really tested Maep that much. I believe that Maemo Mapper and QtMapper let you download "map tiles" and download instructions to a route while connected to wifi, but there is no turn by turn navigation.
Maemo Mapper dose provide turn by turn directions for preloaded routes. Perhaps not a substitute for getting a route or locating at an address when WiFi isn't available. Flite is required for voice prompts in addition to the pop up alerts of turns. I'm able to plan my trips in advance so I download the route for use during the trip. If I need a route on the road I use the free WiFi at Starbucks, MacDonalds and Denny's.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
Maemo Mapper dose provide turn by turn directions for preloaded routes. Perhaps not a substitute for getting a route or locating at an address when WiFi isn't available. Flite is required for voice prompts in addition to the pop up alerts of turns. I'm able to plan my trips in advance so I download the route for use during the trip. If I need a route on the road I use the free WiFi at Starbucks, MacDonalds and Denny's.
When I know my route in advance, I use Mapquest on my home PC and print out the directions. Or I use AAA and get a Triptik.

To get turn-by-turn "online" I would have to pay Verizon $40 a month for "unlimited data", and tether my N810 to my cell phone. I actually do that for the occassional road trip, but then we pack a laptop, and tether, and again use Mapquest. I am not willing to pay the $40 a month on an ongoing basis for data, I just don't travel that much.

I really want offline turn-by-turn. Like I said, I am going to try to get Navit working this week, and hope for a port of Sygic or Ovi Maps.

I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions here.

and maemo-mapper works very well too.