when I switch off screen using small slider on the right side of the device, it goes on/off automatically after some time (say 5,10 mins). Is it some hardware or software problem. Can flashing the device solve this problem? My warranty has expired so cannot go to Nokia Care centre. Please help

Yes flashling will solve your problem
afaik its a software issue maybe you install something which automatically wakes your n900

or you can also do this
go to settings
click on settings(which is upper side)
click on clear device

that's it

Clear device is not solving problem. Going for flash

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
You may want to make a backup with the Backup application first while you read the wiki article about 'Flashing the Firmware'. http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware
Choose your PC's OS and the version of the firmware.
Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Yeppi !! flash successful , and the screen on/off problem seems to be gone.Increased the size of installable programs to 8GB as well. Thanks a lot guys for your help.

Problem is still there, seems to be hardware problem.
when I am switching off screen by slider on right side, it light up by itself.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Do you use some kind of a case for your device? Or is there anything magnetic nearby?

This had happened to me too after I bought a leather case with magnetic clip. The reasoning behind this behavior is that N900 recognizes state of the keyboard (open/closed) by connecting magnets. If you put something magnetic close to the device, the software seems to think the keyboard is manipulated constantly.

Last edited by nodevel; 2012-06-10 at 12:30.

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by rahul.free View Post
Yeppi !! flash successful , and the screen on/off problem seems to be gone.Increased the size of installable programs to 8GB as well. Thanks a lot guys for your help.
Originally Posted by rahul.free View Post
Problem is still there, seems to be hardware problem.
when I am switching off screen by slider on right side, it light up by itself.
Between these two posts, did you install any additional software? Maybe Sourav.dubey is right suggesting that you have installed something which keeps waking your device every now and then?

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Yes I installed softwares, and when the problem started again I thought also that the problem is because of some software, so I flashed again to see whether the problem is because of some application or is it hardware. And the problem is still there with out installing any software.

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Do you use some kind of a case for your device? Or is there anything magnetic nearby?

This had happened to me too after I bought a leather case with magnetic clip. The reasoning behind this behavior is that N900 recognizes state of the keyboard (open/closed) by connecting magnets. If you put something magnetic close to the device, the software seems to think the keyboard is manipulated constantly.
I do not use any case for the N900, but I have many electronic devices around it, like laptop , TV , keyboard, mouse etc.

The problem is both way, i.e. screen lights up when the phone is off and goes off also when I am doing some work on it.

when I went to show my device to mechanic it did not show any problem