Notices

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post

Stockona

Short description:
Stockona is currently a google/yahoo finance client in QML for Maemo/Meego. It pulls your portfolios from google finance and shows the quotes for one of the portfolio in a clean interface. Yahoo finance currently provides the ask/bid price info and the chart.

The app has been packaged to Maemo extra-devel and you can get it from there. I will promote it to testing once allowed.

Current Features
  • Quote:
    • Simple view: The quote info can be displayed in two formats: Portfolio-based or quote-based.
    • Detail view: Display more detailed info, plus display history price/volume chart from Yahoo Finance
  • News: Accessed from detailed quote view. Display relevant news feed from Google Finance.
  • Setting: Select Portfolio, change refresh interval, set default view mode

** Please install "QtQuick 1.0 compatible" package before installing the app.

You can find more info as well as file bug/download deb/view source code from forum nokia project page:
http://projects.forum.nokia.com/stockona

Changelog:
0.0.10: Bug fixes (Forum Nokia ticket #3-5) + logic improvement. 0.0.9: Bad build, logic improvement not working well.....
0.0.8: Add icon
0.0.7: Package for Maemo extra-devel. Fixed setting menu focus bug.
0.0.6: Add full-screen + horizontal detailed quote view layout change + ask/bid price info + primitive error handling
0.0.5: Add detailed quote info & related news feed. Initial loading time is intentionally increased, btw.
0.0.4: (Not available due to bad UX)
0.0.3: Add portfolio view and bugfixes
0.0.2: Initial release

Known Issue:
  1. Setting menu focus leaks through current window to quote view...
  2. Portfolio view can have duplicated items if you load portfolio fast enough.
  3. Yahoo finance chart is cut off a bit in portrait view.

Screenshot (0.0.6+)

Portrait detail

Landscape detail #1

Landscape detail #2

News #1

News #2

Credits and special thanks to:
Inspired by MaeMoney & StockThis
Tommi Laukkanen (author of Twimgo/Kasvopus)
Nokia QT team and their documentation
My gripe with MaeMoney, and the reason I always just log into google finance in the web browser is that it can´t show me a single summary page showing all my portfolios, with these details for each:
- The name of my portfolios
- The total balance
- Net gain / Net loss
- Days return
- Overall return

As I´m not a day-day trader I´m not only interested in the balance of each fund in the portfolio, but more with the portfolio itself as a whole.

Can Stockona do this? If not is that possible?

Last edited by olighak; 2011-06-15 at 19:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
Is it possible to follow
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=^YHOh714
with your application?

Thanks in advance.
That's the website version and I'm afraid I can't directly use it.

The two ways I found to retrieve Yahoo quote info, one is in CSV, the other is through YQL. Maybe after logging in they will return portfolio-related data. I will give it a try.

Originally Posted by olighak View Post
\
- The name of my portfolios
- The total balance
- Net gain / Net loss
- Days return
- Overall return
1) Not currently, it's in a separate menu.
2) Yes, stockona shows total value.
3) Yes and no, stockona only shows gain percentage.
4) No, I didn't include this, but the info is readily available.
5) Yes and no, Stockona shows YTD return.

I like #4 and I had wanted to implement 1) to the title bar. Let me add it to the todo list.

For 3), you'd like to see gain/loss in dollar right?
For 5), is YTD return good enough?

BTW, I would appreciate feedback on the resource usage if you leave stockona running in the background. Does it behave well?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Sony123,

one problem i am facing, when adding ASX:bhp it still shows BHP ADR of USA, while on the website google finance it shows correct pricing of BHP in australia, on Stockona it shows BHP ADR of the US. Any solutions

thanks for the app

The Following User Says Thank You to anismistry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by anismistry View Post
Hi Sony123,

one problem i am facing, when adding ASX:bhp it still shows BHP ADR of USA, while on the website google finance it shows correct pricing of BHP in australia, on Stockona it shows BHP ADR of the US. Any solutions

thanks for the app
Thanks for reporting this, I will take a look and see what happened. If I can I will add the solution in the new release I just completed and hopefully release tmr.

EDIT: Turned out I didn't include the exchange info in the query sending to google server. I have tried and it pulled the correct data after I added the exchange. So the issue will be fixed in the next release.

Last edited by sony123; 2011-06-19 at 08:01.

Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
Thanks for reporting this, I will take a look and see what happened. If I can I will add the solution in the new release I just completed and hopefully release tmr.

EDIT: Turned out I didn't include the exchange info in the query sending to google server. I have tried and it pulled the correct data after I added the exchange. So the issue will be fixed in the next release.
This turns out a litter trickier due to the difference in Yahoo and Google. This only affects the ask/bid pricing info.

Currently I use a lookup-table way and only converted the exchanges that I know Yahoo provides ask/bid pricing info. The stock exchanges I have now are:

Code:
// North America
NASDAQ/NYSE/AMEX
TSX/TSXV
OTC BB 

// Euro
LONDON

// Asia
TAIWAN
HONG KONG
CHINA - SHANGHAI/SHENZHEN
KOREA
Unfortunately, Yahoo doesn't provide ask/bid pricing info for ASX so I didn't include it. If your exchange is missing, could you kindly first check if the ask/bid info is available on Yahoo, then I can add it into the table.

Another release bringing many tweaks:

- Slight tweak of portfolio information, add day gain/gain in $ and use total return instead of YTD.
- Improve portfolio menu - add symbol count and excerpt.
- Add login/logout button and 'About' page to setting menu.
- Title bar can toggle between 'stockona' and portfolio name.
- Fix state transition issue.

There is also one easter egg hidden in the app... I tried toying with an idea but found it didn't work well on N900. As a result, I didn't pursue further but left the code in.

Hint: Gesture control.

Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
Is it possible to follow
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=^YHOh714
with your application?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry I missed your question.... I just checked and:
1) Google finance doesn't have the symbol.
2) The only obvious thing gold-related is GLD.
So since there is no way to add this in Google finance portfolio, the app cannot follow it.

The only way to solve this is by adding the ability to create local portfolio and switching to Yahoo's feed. The former is probably what I will *try* to do next.

Hi all, a maintenance release, 0.1.0 has just been pushed to extras-devel. In the release, I fixed the portfolio name toggling in the title bar. Now the portfolio name is more reliably shown. Also I did some minor tweaks to the codes and there are no longer error console messages at startup.

Also, regarding the hidden feature of the title bar.... well, swiping down reveals the portfolio shortcut, where you can click to directly access the portfolio selection view. I could make it such that swiping down directly go into portfolio selection view, but after knowing N9's UX design, I will most likely remove this (not-working-so-well) feature.

The version number has been bumped to 0.1.0 because I feel for the current feature Stockona is relatively stable. I plan to work on local portfolio storage/creation so I can do more flexible things. As for yahoo portfolio support, unfortunately I have yet to found a way. I will keep looking.

Oh and btw since N9 uses AMOLED I will probably have to make a darker scheme...

Last edited by sony123; 2011-06-22 at 06:47.