Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by JPB
At least there is somebody here who has fully understood the objective of the device and where the software is going. Just do it on the web and even more efficiently.
The Web is just a small part of the Internet. It has its own specific value, though, and to confine the potential of the 770 to the World Wide Web would be to severly restrict its usefulness and lower its efficiency as a network device. Remote X apps don't have to deal with the Web the same way that html pages do. To keep apps low in latency and high in remote responsiveness I would urge developers to use the Web when it suits their purposes, but not unless this is the case. In the same sense that GUIs have to be developed which totally suit the application (games, point of sale, etc.) so, too, do the ways in which we use the Internet have to be developed which totally suit the requirements of the 770 as a local and wide area network display device.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by RealNitro
OMFG it works! I have 'gedit', the gnome text editor, opened on my N770 right now.
That little glimpse of the future's pretty exciting, isn't it? Document exactly what you did for all to follow.

Originally Posted by Remote User
That little glimpse of the future's pretty exciting, isn't it? Document exactly what you did for all to follow.
I wrote a howto on my blog. If you find some points that need more explanation, just comment, and I'll see what I can do.