Active Topics

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p.../libf/libffi4/

What happened when you double clicked on the link on this page?
Exactly what I described before. An error window pops up with this error message:

Unable to install.
Incompatible application package.

When I clicked on the one that doesn't refer to a 386 or to dev, it installed just fine.
Then I'm stumped. 'Cause it doesn't install for me! And others.

You are on the 4.2007.38-2 firmware...right?

-- Mike

Hm, this looks a bit strange.. I have libffi4 installed, but apt-cache policy doesn't list the repo. That indicates that it's in the repo but not in the packages list. Don't know how I got it installed then, maybe it came with the July firmware upgrade? You can try to download the armel version (libffi4_4.1.0-1osso1_armel.deb), and then use 'dpkg -i' on the file to install it. (You may have to be root).

NB: In any case, make sure you have either the last (September) or the next-to-last (July) firmware flash update installed, if you haven't then things won't work anyway as far as I can see.

Originally Posted by frethop View Post
Exactly what I described before. An error window pops up with this error message:

Unable to install.
Incompatible application package.

Then I'm stumped. 'Cause it doesn't install for me! And others.

You are on the 4.2007.38-2 firmware...right?

-- Mike
Sorry to say I have the same problem almost. I'm running the newest os2007 HE and I'm unable to find libffi4. When I visit the weblink above via my 770 I get the same
"unable to install. incompatible application package" error.
What's going on here? I've only had my 770 for a day, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only person with this problem.
* I was also not able to install python2.5 on os2006 ( gregale ). Python 2.4 installed fine.

I now think there's an intermittent problem with the extras repository on repository.maemo.org, as I notice (in application manager) that several applications that used to be there are now apparently gone (e.g. 'zip', and also 'omweather' I think -- I have had it sitting in the 'upgrades' display for quite a while now without upgrading, and now it's gone).

That would explain why installing this had been working fine for some of us, but now it isn't working. I think the repo problem occured yesterday or today. Let's see what happens tomorrow or in the near future.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Ok...just to muddy the waters even more...

I downloaded the package file and ran "dpkg -i" on it. It installed without a problem. Then, the Python 2.5 runtime downloaded fine through the Application Manager, and Maemochron installed and ran without a hitch.

This is wierd. When I tried to install the same file through the Application Manager, I got the "incompatible" error. Doesn't the AM just do a "dpkg"?

Anyway...all you who have problems...try "dpkg -i" through the xterm.

-- Mike

Originally Posted by frethop View Post
Anyway...all you who have problems...try "dpkg -i" through the xterm.
-- Mike
Err... newbie here - please can you step me through just what that means?!?

Thanks.

Martin.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Mike: Yes, I did a fresh install of the latest firmware, from the Nokia site, using the WinXp software Nokia provides, yesterday.

I did a backup first, and immediately restored the backup after the flash. I solved whatever slight problems I had by installing Python 2.4 and then having to remove ii and install 2.5 months ago.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I get the impression that 100% of the people who have this problem had installed Python 2.4 and now are using Python 2.5.

There should be warnings about ever installing Python 2.4. The only 'easy' way to solve this I can think of is reflash your system, don't restore it and don't install Python 2.4, ever.
I think there are more complex ways to solve it, but they seem messy.

Even on a fresh Flash I can non get python2.5 to install. It keeps saying I'm missing libffi4. When trying with os2006 on a fresh flash I am missing even more files. At least when I run os2007 HE I can see 2.5, but it's not the most current. The most current python is 0.4-12. My application manager only can see 0.4-10. I think this is where a big part of the problem starts.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I get the impression that 100% of the people who
have this problem had installed Python 2.4 and now are using Python 2.5.
I've never installed python 2.4, just made a backup, flashed the update from hell and made a restore. Then it's impossible for me to either install microb (package not there) or python (missing libffi4).
And many system packages show as upgradeabe (which I'm not to keen to do since this was the cause I had to reflash, before I just tried to flash the kernel and initfs then upgrade the system packages, and that made the nokia splash screen permanent, i.e. I could only access the tablet via ssh)