Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I can connect to all kinds of networks and I am running 2006 OS, maybe try the nokia park wifi detector, see if you have any luck with that.

http://parkwifi.nokia.com/1,21,,,202.html

It will manage your wireless connections and automatically connect you to networks.

I have it installed but I usually only use the built in tool

good luck

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
I have had the some problem after upgrading to another router. I had to change the WEP code (on the router's back) and then ended up with the link-local IP address. A restart of the N770 seems to have fixed the problem though... fingers crossed.

I have some interesting findings, now that I am using a 700, an N800 and a desktop PC with wireless connection on the same wireless router. When the Desktop is connected then both Nokias can connect with only link-local IP. If I put the Desktop to sleep then the Nokias connect normally. If I wake the Desktop once the Nokias are connected then it connects fine. The Desktop uses a D-Link DWL-510 PCI wireless card.

It seems that the Desktop has some priority over the Nokias... Reading back this thread some of the situations might be explained by this.

I don't know enough about wireless networks, if anyone can help then please do so.

N800 testing 'in the field' (around town) has resulted in quite a lot of 'link-local ip address' with the question mark instead of the lollypop on the connection icon. I have not had a single instance at home, with a Trendnet router and about 6 devices connected to it (4 PCs, PAP2, N800).
When connected 'link-local' when in town, viewing the IP Address details on the N800 show:-
ip address: 169.254.63.223
netmask: 255.255.0.0
default router/Primary/Secondary DNS = none

I also struggle with sometimes getting a browser going OK, but cannot send email. My SMTP settings are set to my ISP, which works perfectly from home. Just not when I connect to a free hotspot!

Reading back this thread there appears to be numerous similarities between N770/OS2006 issues and N800/OS2007 issues that I am having. I did not see any resolution of issues seen on the 770/OS2006 (OS2005 appears to have had a fix) with:-
Numerous hotspots visible
Virtual memory enabled

Next time I encounter the 'link-local ip address' on my N800 I will try disable Virtual Memory (currently 128MB).

Further results. Sat outside OfficeDepot and tried to connect to their free WiFi hotspot. Always got the 'link-local ip address' and the ip address claims to be 169.254.63.223 (nowhere near what it should be). At that time there were three other open AP, plus two other 'locked'. Same results connecting to the other two open AP (coffee shop and 'KiteNetFree') - no success, could not browse.
Later outside BestBuy, tried to connect to KiteNetFree again and it worked normally. Browse/email send/receive OK. Tried to connect to BestBuy and it failed (despite being open). Only two APs were visible at that moment - BestBuy and KiteNetFree.
So it appears that the results indicate the more APs visible, the harder it is to get an IP address, even though it 'Connects' fine and the signal is good (2 out of 4 bars). Anyone else with similar experiences on the N800? Remember at home it works flawlessley to my WEP-enabled router, never having failed to connect EVER (even though I can see 4 open APs, 3 locked APs)

This has to be a bug in the N800! It should not be this difficult to connect to free WiFi hotspots, and IMHO makes the N800 useless, at best unreliable.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Might be also that some 2.4GHz wireless phones interferes with the WiFi connection. I have one Vtech phone and every time it rings both my desktop and N800 gets disconnected from the AP. Needless to say that I'm no longer using that phone... Too bad you can no longer find those 900MHz phones that have no issues. Another alternative are those 5.8GHz phones but I'm afraid the RF signal is less capable to penetrate walls etc...

I suspect some of my neighbours have similar 2.4GHz phones since sometimes I get frequent disconnects without any good reason. If I try to reconnect most time I get the same error message than you. Then on other times the connection stays rock solid?

However, the N800 seem more sensitive to this than my desktop? It could be that the Transmit power level of the N800 is lower or the N800 antenna is less optimal.

Link-local addresses (from Wikipedia): If a network address cannot be obtained via DHCP, an address from 169.254.1.0 to 169.254.254.255 is assigned randomly.

This means that my two Nokias cannot get their IP addresses from the DHCP when my Desktop is connected. Should I use manual IP addresses? That would bypass the need for DHCP, wouldn't it? But then any new device would have to be added manually... Why can the Nokias not access the DHCP??

I tried BT's (as in British Telecom) online help guys but they don't know the answer.

I have assigned IP addresses, DNS server and gateway addresses manually and now the three devices can connect fine in any order. I used the addresses the DHCP server sends to them (when it works) and so the settings on the router didn't need changing. Problem solved, but it still concerns me that the DNS server on my router (?) does not send addresses to the Nokias when the Desktop is connected. Any gurus know why this is?

I had the same problem, hooking up to my airport network (128-bit WEP). Fixed it by re-entering my WEP hex key repeatedly until I got it right.

It is (IS ANYONE AT NOKIA LISTENING?) really, *REALLY* annoying to try entering a 26-digit hexadecimal number in a text entry box that (a) replaces every character you enter with an asterisk after a fraction of a second, and (b) doesn't let you paste in a string you typed into another application. It took me about five to eight tries to get it right!

An option to switch off automatic hiding of passwords would be really useful. Let the user decide if they need extra privacy, right?