Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I think when it comes release time, the software will be as finished as Diablo (rather than Chinook), and the hardware will be unbeaten; I think with the always-on data built-in, it'll have a lot broader market appeal, and I don't see any other devices coming through between now and then with a big enough breakthrough to leave an abnormal portion of the market saying "Man, that N900's sweet; now I wish I hadn't blown my year's gadget allowance on this xPhone. Oh well." The Googlephone, while perhaps not in the expected state of perpetual beta, isn't that radical a game-changer, and I don't see MIDs getting very much better for performance-portability-price product than they are...

Will it be an earth-shaking revolution? Probably not. But I've felt the revolutionary nature of the tablets is overrated for quite some time. I think it will be commercially a bigger success than any of the tablets so far, and I only see one opportunity for them to really shoot themselves in the foot WRT the platform's continued success...

Bottom line: I agree it's hugely important for them to get it right, but I feel they have less chances to go horribly wrong than some do. Maybe I'm just a bloody optimist, though, and you guys will be right...
Thank you very much for your informed optimism, Benson. I needed that. As for the Pandora, anybody want to start a pool, "Which will be available to the general public first, the N900 or Pandora?"

Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
In the meantime, it strikes me that Nokia could do worse than to re-launch the N800 at a lower price. It's popular with its owners, and another six months of N800 sales would swell the ranks of internet tablet users. If anything, the N800 was ahead of its time when it was launched, and was perhaps under-appreciated. Today there might be a lot of interest in "real mobile internet with a genuine Mozilla browser".
That would be very nice. I suspect, however, that the N800s aren't that cheap to make, and Nokia doesn't strike me as a lost leader kind of company.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
(Sane) people do not want a port of OpenOffice to a 5 inch screen. You start approaching the silliness of WinXP on UMPCs when you do that. They want the approximate functionality of OpenOffice on their tablet... A good tablet has a OS and UI well matched to the device, and good tablet app utilizes the tablet UI.
I agree about the latter, but I beg to differ on your definition of "sane".

My Crazy Dream: A tablet that runs a tablet OS most of the time, but when I want to run a desktop app, I can use nice smooth finger-panning (as in liqbase) to zip around a big virtual desktop. Because sometimes you do need a handheld laptop.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Thank you very much for your informed optimism, Benson. I needed that. As for the Pandora, anybody want to start a pool, "Which will be available to the general public first, the N900 or Pandora?"
If general public may be defined as those with quick trigger fingers, I'm definitely going with the Pandora. But the second batch is probably gonna go mighty quick. (Which makes me think Pandora + woot! = pope-hat... but that's another thought.)

N900 may be available, in quantity, before the third round of Pandoras, though.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Yeah, but there are also dumbphones (e.g. my Nokia 3555, which is S40) with 3G. What you'd really use it for, besides tethering, is beyond me. The display is horribly low-res, the browser is horribly pathetic, and it reminds me why so many dupes think the iPhone invented the practical mobile web. (I've only tried the built-in browser, as I've been unable to get Opera mini working on it so far, but haven't tried hard.) The whole point of it, to me, was a modem.
While the 3355 is 3G, it is only UMTS mode - which is far less than HSDPA and has a bad latency.

Obiously Nokia is targetting the N900 with HSPA since anything less hardly adds to the VOIP capability.

I have used a UMTS phone with my N810 and seriosuly, in USA at least you cant use a UMTS for a Gizmo video call in any decent way. At least a simple voice acll is still possible but not too good.

A true HSDPA phone on the other hand can be used for a video call. And any HSDPA phones are all smartphones - and costly. So the cheap dumbphone as a addon to the IT is not a very valid point - at least not yet.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
How low could Nokia go with the N800? I've lost track of the current lowball pricing, since I bought at $400, but anything substantially under $200 might have a big impact. Better yet, go $99 and take the world by storm, and everyone would be pantingly ready for the N900 when it gets here.

They can't build it for less than 200-250$. Just check what the competition costs.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The "desktop paradigm" you've described is important, but it is important because it is needed to foster FUTURE software development designed with the NIT platform in mind. I certainly hope the primary goal of Maemo 5 is not to enable reuse of existing desktop apps (ugh!).
I dont want to predict anything here (I doubt Nokia has a sane vision ATM, otherwise they wouldn't completely withdraw from the market right now by not offering up-to-date devices), but: The one and probably only thing that makes the tablets different from most competing and semi-similar platforms is the fact that they are, in fact, small desktop PCs and you can port desktop applications with little, sometimes no effort.

This is the only reason why I bought the thing in the first place. I didn't want a "mobile device" that's crippled because some design guru said mobile interfaces have to be restricted. I wanted everything I have on my desktop, only smaller. That's what I've got.

(This might not be what other people want. Others might want UIs made only for mobile use and applications that are simple enough to work with these UIs. No problem - there's a number of such devices out there, go get them.)

Now, it seems that at least technology-wise Nokia stays with the desktop-experience here. Listen to Ari Jaaksis keynote. My interpretation is that you gain little from using desktop frameworks if you dont do it because you want to run desktop applications on the device. So I hope we'll see future devices and generations of Maemo moving even closer to the desktop. In an ideal world, every popular desktop-application should be in the extras repository, properly hildonized.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
if I could use the NIT besides (or instead of) my current VoIP phone that'd be great.
You can. The N800/N810 supports multiple sip accounts with the built-in software. You can have as many accounts as you want (ok, les than about 64000), with as many phone numbers as you want.

Yes, Linux has capability-based security modules, but they're hardly ever used, and I'm not aware of any embedded device running Linux which does use it.
Google's android does.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
Google's android does.
Android may run on top of linux, but I would not call it linux based.

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
You can. The N800/N810 supports multiple sip accounts with the built-in software. You can have as many accounts as you want (ok, les than about 64000), with as many phone numbers as you want.
Nope, I can't. When I try to phone I immediately get disconnected. Using STUN doesn't solve the problem. When I use my neighbors WiFi it works, but that isn't ideal. I'll probably opt for an ethernet-based phone, or a WiFi based phone.

Also, the N8x0 doesn't provide 24/7 connectivity while out of home.

Its wise Android uses capability-based security. I wonder how Nokia will cope with this on Linux. Since Android runs Java, in theory many Java applications will run on it. Even some Java applications used on Symbian.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Its wise Android uses capability-based security. I wonder how Nokia will cope with this on Linux. Since Android runs Java, in theory many Java applications will run on it. Even some Java applications used on Symbian.
Android doesn't run Java... it runs a language that is similar to java on a custom VM.

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:

Tags
job, n900