Thanks all for your comments.

I bought the x51v mainly to read .pdf documents, to browse web pages
and to check my e-mails. But doing these operations is not as comfortably
as promised and the bad visualization in landscape is very uncomfortable.
The Windows Mobile 5 lack of good .pdf reader, the best I tested is
pocketxpdf which is an open source project, but it is very slow.
I ask if the 770 is a good device to render pdf file, that is does it give
to the user the same feeling on read pdf like in any notebook?
Thank to all again.
Y.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
In my experience, the pdf reader is quite comparable to desktop or laptop viewing. Due to memory constraints, it may run less smoother depending on the number of applications you run simultaneously. The size of the pdf file also can make an impact on memory of the 770. I guess it just depends on the person and their expectations of the device. Myself being a bit of a geek, of course I see some minute flaws of the 770 that others have noted. I usually adapt or find hacks to get around most issues.

Again, it really depends on what type of user you tend to be. Flexable, adaptive, hacker, or stubborn, unchanging, creature of habit. Both types are necessary in the world to keep a balance that drives innovation in the mobile device market.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Originally Posted by yan
Thanks all for your comments.

I bought the x51v mainly to read .pdf documents, to browse web pages
and to check my e-mails. But doing these operations is not as comfortably
as promised and the bad visualization in landscape is very uncomfortable.
The Windows Mobile 5 lack of good .pdf reader, the best I tested is
pocketxpdf which is an open source project, but it is very slow.
I ask if the 770 is a good device to render pdf file, that is does it give
to the user the same feeling on read pdf like in any notebook?
Thank to all again.
Y.

The 770's PDF viewer is adequate for smaller PDF documents, but tends to bog down pretty badly with anything of meaningful size. My primary use for PDF's on portable devices is for reading PDF magazines ( Circuit Cellar, EPE, etc. ) that tend to include a mix of full-page images and text interspersed with graphics. They tend to run about 125 pages, or so. The 770's PDF reader is completely useless for them.

On the other hand, I have 2 devices - a Sony TH-55 and Zaurus 3K, that both have Picsel Viewer, and they handle the PDF's without a hiccup. The rendering is as faithful as the full-blown Adobe Reader on a desktop ( albeit the TH-55 is dog-slow ). Picsel Viewer has an extraordinarily non-standard interface, but once you figure out the icons, it works very, very nicely. It has the side benefit that it can also read Word, Excel, and other documents. I'd suggest seeing if you can get a version for the PocketPC. Picsel is normally bundled with devices, but I presume that you should be able to buy it separately, as well.

- Rich

as far as percieved screen quality goes I'm not impressed. I understand the issue to be the higher resolution digitizer that is required due to the 800x480 screen cuases a grainy appearence. the LCD itself is not the problems. I also understand that tablet PC's have this same look.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Originally Posted by chrwei
as far as percieved screen quality goes I'm not impressed. I understand the issue to be the higher resolution digitizer that is required due to the 800x480 screen cuases a grainy appearence. the LCD itself is not the problems. I also understand that tablet PC's have this same look.
I guess you'll just have to choose the lesser of two evils: hi-res screen/w grainy digitizer overlay (which isn't that grainy IMHO), or lower-res PDA screen without grainy overlay effect. I think to keep the price low enough for consumers, Nokia had to choose a more tried and true screen technology for the tablet. Maybe OLED technology will become cheaper and common enough in the near future to satisfy the needs of people such as yourself. Until then, we either get what's being served, or wait a little longer for technology to catch up to our expectations (which is ever changing I might add).
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Originally Posted by chrwei
Nearly all of the Tablet PCs use a Wacom digitizer - it works with a special pen, and is _behind_ the LCD rather than in front of it. The only thing between the LCD and your eyes is a thick piece of glass to stop the pen from damaging the display.

I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe you are wrong about the 770's digitizer as well. I think its digitizer is an analog device, without a particular "resolution".

I think the artefacts visible on the 770's screen are primarily caused by the density of the pixels themselves. Personally, I'm very happy with the 770's screen, as has been everybody I've shown it to...

From my point of view, the grainy-ness of the LCD is only visible in large patches of very light pixels... Like a document with black text and white background.

FBreader, for example, defaults to black text on white background, and looks fairly ugly. White text on black background is much easier on the eyes, and would be even with a perfect screen.

I wonder if it saves battery, too, to use a mostly dark screen, or if the screen gets a universal power input depending on the brightness setting?

Originally Posted by Supergeek
From my point of view, the grainy-ness of the LCD is only visible in large patches of very light pixels... Like a document with black text and white background.

FBreader, for example, defaults to black text on white background, and looks fairly ugly. White text on black background is much easier on the eyes, and would be even with a perfect screen.

I wonder if it saves battery, too, to use a mostly dark screen, or if the screen gets a universal power input depending on the brightness setting?

The vast, vast majority of the power used in the LCD ( and, indeed, in most mobile devices as a whole ) is from the backlight. Turning it down to the lowest setting will make a noticable difference in battery life.

It doesn't really make any difference whether you use a dark on white, or white on dark color scheme, when it comes to power consumption, compared to the backlight requirements.

- Rich