Posts: 223 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Lebanon- Beirut
why 1080p is bad?

We already know how this SOC will perform at 1080p. If you check this review of the Nexus 4 (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6440/g...xus-4-review/3), and look at the GLbenchmark 1080p offscreen tests, you can see that the expected results are lower than the average. Now, add to that the clutter of the HTC sense skin and things get worst.
Moreover the battery is just too small to support so much pixels and such a heavy CPU-GPU combination.

Last edited by ahmadamaj; 2012-11-14 at 06:22. Reason: forgot to link the review

The Following User Says Thank You to ahmadamaj For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
HTC is trying to replicate Nokia of yore by adding one killer feature in return for some sub-standard compromises.

That huge panel would need much juice but they put a non-replaceable 2,020mah battery with limited 16GB storage without microSD...

Its a perfect example of hitting one's own foot...

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Not really a bs number this time, 1080p is an industry standard (as I'm sure you are aware) and not just a made up resolution from another company who wish to one-up Apples retina bo**ocks.

If they can get decent battery life out of that phone then it would sure make things easier for the video junkies out there. No more having to faff with video converters to adjust the resolution or have the CPU/GPU working overtime to scale down the image to fit the screen.
I know that it is a standard. But it should be a standard on 15" screens. And 720p is also a standard. But 1080p on 5" is ridiculous. For UI, photos, media player.............. basically anythig but browsing doesn' mater if it is 720p or 1080p. No one will se the difference. But browsing on that means constant zooming. And the only advantage for me in those 5" screens was the ease of browsing without zooming.
I would much rather take the best possible 720p display then some inferior 1080p.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I don't think the screen is the issue here. If you think the battery life is far worse than what we have today its rather a battery issue. But personally, I think what is the base of the issue is what attract users today. Slim... Ness. That the source.

Personally. Your minds need to get used to the thought of 1080p with a battery of 2xxx. No one would complain about that screen battery composition in 6 month it reaching a standard.

Wait for some real tests please. And get the 1080p screens in to your head.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Finally, a super high resolution screen that isn't Pentile.
It'll be one hell of a visual treat to look at it.

Oh wait, the maximum storage they offer on it is 16GB with no SD card slot. Not even a 64GB option!

That's crazy, not everyone has teh clouds to stream their media.
Also, I can blow through 8GB easily on my Android devices with games and other apps alone. You can't stream those.
What is it with manufacturers and not offering a $5-on-the-BOM SD card slot?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Finally, a super high resolution screen that isn't Pentile.
It'll be one hell of a visual treat to look at it.
It's funny how this depends on eyes for different people.

I have a co-worker who cannot look into pentile dispalys, he says that the colour fringing makes his eyes hurt.

Myself, I honestly cannot make difference with pentile ot lcd display, in my eye N9 looks nice, it's bright and easy to read.

I do not know if the difference is physiological or psychovisual, but it is real. People are different...

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
It's easy to see when looking att images/icons/details . Let's take a galaxy s3/note and put it together another phone let's say iphone 4s. It's a other the same resolution, but the android is much more foggy in details with their pentiles.

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-11-14 at 17:16.

Finally some indication of world wide version. HTC DELUXE

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11...he-htc-deluxe/

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
i want amoled, and they can't even do 720p amoled in 5" yet without it being pentile. And while I prefer an 720p pentile than a WVGA stripe, a 720p stripe would be awesome.

Assuming fixed screen size my preference

WVGA AMOLED RGB < 720p IPS LCD < 720p Pentile AMOLED < 1080p IPS LCD < 720p RGB AMOLED < 1080p RGB AMOLED

Red don't exist yet

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
http://www.androidauthority.com/sams...hd-lcd-130541/

Let's see what samsung comes up with.