Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
There is no need of a Google maps app, since Maemo 5 got a good browser.

But with google maps you can't navigate. I hope Ovi Maps will get improved. I think so, because N900 is Nokias high end device and with Ovi Maps navigation they earn money. Nokia would suck otherwise :P
I wouldn't use Google Maps as a replacement for Ovi but a complement. I used it for Latitude and search on my S60 phone and found it quite handy.

I would happily subscribe to Ovi's service (and watch Nokia earn $) if they come up with better support for the N900!

Originally Posted by archebyte View Post
I wouldn't use Google Maps as a replacement for Ovi but a complement. I used it for Latitude and search on my S60 phone and found it quite handy.

I would happily subscribe to Ovi's service (and watch Nokia earn $) if they come up with better support for the N900!
I agree, I have Nokia Maps 2.0 on my N95, but think the search is pants, I like to use Google Maps to search and save to my favourites then use Nokia Maps 2.0, to navigate their.

Also, someone mentioned that S60 Google Maps was a Java App, it's a very well featured Symbian App, that does routing (but no Turn-ByTurn navigation).

Also, using Google Maps in the browser isn't as good, surely the browser version isn't location aware? Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dexter1759 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I dont know how to do that allnameswereout, I just have the deb and know how to hack that version to get unlimited free trials.

I have to echo the disappointed sentiments of so many. Almost everything about the N900 looks really great to me, but I also need a great fully featured and functional GPS and routing application that is on par with Ovi Maps 3.0 on Symbian devices (minus voice navigation). Without that I can't buy the N900 and will have to watch the competition for more complete offerings.

On top of the software let down, it seems that the GPS hardware on the N900 is also problematic as users are reporting[1] that it's almost impossible to get a satellite lock and a data connection for A-GPS network positioning is needed just to get your location on the map. This is also a deal breaker for me because I need to go out in the middle of nowhere where there is no data connection available, besides not wanting to use a data connection in the first place.

1. https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5337

Last edited by SgtDuke; 2009-10-19 at 19:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to SgtDuke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by Dexter1759 View Post
Also, using Google Maps in the browser isn't as good, surely the browser version isn't location aware? Correct me if I'm wrong.
maps.google.com on the browser is not location aware. Using it from the browser is a tad unwieldy because it requires use of the 'Hover' gesture. Things are easier when using a stylus.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...ee0c06c6&hl=en

I've posted a suggestion for Google Maps App to be ported to Maemo 5 here, please post there too to express your interest. Not too sure that's the best place for it, but it's for Google Maps Suggestions and Feedback. So hopefully it'll get some attention.

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
We will never see a free version of Ovi maps with turn by turn navigation for the N900. If you want this then it will be a paid (and expensive) application. If you want free then change phones. Nokia and Maemo will not produce any more firmware updates for the N900 despite their promise. Why would they dedicate resources to owners of just one phone?
I

Originally Posted by pthomas22 View Post
We will never see a free version of Ovi maps with turn by turn navigation for the N900. If you want this then it will be a paid (and expensive) application. If you want free then change phones. Nokia and Maemo will not produce any more firmware updates for the N900 despite their promise. Why would they dedicate resources to owners of just one phone?
I
So there is voice nav available?

no! the representative of nokia sweden made it quite clear that there will be no n900 version of ovi maps with voice navigation.

but there are good third party alternatives like sygic , doesnt cost much..

Originally Posted by Raubtier View Post
no! the representative of nokia sweden made it quite clear that there will be no n900 version of ovi maps with voice navigation.

but there are good third party alternatives like sygic , doesnt cost much..
Actually he never said that. He said there was none available but they were working on it. He suggested getting sygic if it was absolutely necessary

Tags
navigation, ovi