N810 vs. N900?
One of them is an internet tablet and the other is a phone. Phones get abandoned quickly these days and I'm waiting patiently.
Fremantle lost it's shininess already and now MeeGo is the next big thing. This whole maemo stuff was just a research project from Nokia how to monetize Open Source development.
If the folks at Nokia would release the full source code to Diablo, they would be a bit more sympathetic, but they don't so it shows that they honestly don't care about community and I don't care about them.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to derhorst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean (GPS and GPRS are completely different things). The N810 has a semi-usable integrated GPS but also supports external bluetooth GPS devices just fine, like its predecessors. GPRS via bluetooth also works fine.
And RAM (much more important IMO).
GSM is phone ability
GPRS is phone internet ability
GPS is global positioning system

There is software Gnokii, datasuite for the mobile phones communication with the phones. Add some bluetooth headphone to your mobile, connect to it with Gnokii, dial/sms and you have GPS through your 810 :P

[QUOTE=derhorst;644027]N810 vs. N900?
This whole maemo stuff was just a research project from Nokia how to monetize Open Source development.
QUOTE]

i think you nailed it. they did hit a homerun with their tablet designs though. like you, i'm looking around for a viable upgrade and don't see anything yet. meanwhile i'm quite happy with the n810, even without nokia bugfixes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wesgreen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by derhorst View Post
N810 vs. N900?
One of them is an internet tablet and the other is a phone. Phones get abandoned quickly these days and I'm waiting patiently.
Fremantle lost it's shininess already and now MeeGo is the next big thing. This whole maemo stuff was just a research project from Nokia how to monetize Open Source development.
If the folks at Nokia would release the full source code to Diablo, they would be a bit more sympathetic, but they don't so it shows that they honestly don't care about community and I don't care about them.
I think you phrased it well.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
Even though I am a CDMA (SPRINT) subscriber and couldn't use a SIM phone even if I wanted to, Nokia will probably be added to my list of companies to boycott their hardware. First on this list is HP as I have spent quite a bit of money on their products in the past but when I needed a problem fixed, they simply failed! Now, when I buy any hardware that is PC related my money goes to ACER. At least if there is a problem, they are so cheap that I can afford to:scrap, replace and move on...

Much as I would like to have an N900, my N810W does enough for me now. If I need to connect outside of wifi range, I can connect to my cell phone by bluetooth and browse the web all I like for the monthly unlimited web access provided by my cell carrier. This way, I am free to upgrade my telephone if I need to without losing the N810W capability, and when my area finally upgrades to 4G/WiMax my N810W will be ready for that, too. The N900 is good for people who don't already have such a tablet and don't foresee problems coming from being locked into one type of cell phone, the one in the unit. I like being modular. Plus, the N900 does not have the WiMax capability of the N810W. For me, that's like being offered high end laptop that does not have a BluRay drive. I would not buy it.

Last edited by gridsleep; 2010-09-07 at 21:46.

Tags
n810 n900 comparison