Has anyone experienced noises coming from their charger? it took me about 15 mins but i finally figured out that it was my n800 charger that was beeping.

It sounded like a very faint cheap digital watch alarm.

Am I the only one this is happening to?

wondering if its because i bought it in the USA (110v) and i'm using it in Portugal (240v) - i know the charger is auto switching but it shouldnt be making noises....

I just put my ear to my N800 charger.

Without the N800 plugged in, it whines. With the N800 plugged in and charging, it rhythmically chirps. It's only audible within a foot, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to ace For This Useful Post:
i hear it too... it puts me to sleep at night.

i've had other chargers make similar noises, it might have to do with the wireing and socket you're using? taking a shot in the dark here.

n810w Btw.

The Following User Says Thank You to gonzo1082 For This Useful Post:
well, at least i'm not going crazy

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
It's especially annoying when playing sound through external speakers while it's charging. The N800 seems worse than N810 and 770.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
well, at least i'm not going crazy
You are not going crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd2B6SjMh_w

I had never noticed this ticking or buzzing in the AC4U until you pointed this out. Now I will be driven crazy by the knowledge that there are sound emanating from my N800 chargers. Argh.

I have examined various manufactures' switching type battery chargers. These AC4U Nokia chargers are fine devices compared to most others. I have attached some photos below for those of you who are curious about what is inside. As can be seen, there are quite a few components. In one photo I label the key parts. The audible ticking emanates from the high frequency powdered ferrite core transformer. This transformer is pulsed in bursts when the N800 battery is full. The bursts in mine were close to, but not exactly, one hertz. That is why you hear what you do. Enjoy.

M5
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xxM5xx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
Has anyone experienced noises coming from their charger? it took me about 15 mins but i finally figured out that it was my n800 charger that was beeping.

It sounded like a very faint cheap digital watch alarm.

Am I the only one this is happening to?

wondering if its because i bought it in the USA (110v) and i'm using it in Portugal (240v) - i know the charger is auto switching but it shouldnt be making noises....

I should have mentioned that your Nokia charger is probably fine. What you are hearing is normal for this type thing (unless it is so loud you can hear it across the room).

It may be louder at 240V than at 110V. I am at 110V and I had to put my AC4U directly up against my ear to hear what you described. At 240V the filter caps in the photo above have much more energy stored in them than when the AC4U is plugged into 110V. It makes sense to me that if there are sounds coming from the transformer they would be more pronounced when the AC4U is connected to 240V.

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2008-12-05 at 15:19. Reason: I added the remark regarding 240V vs 110V

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Aha!

In the quiet hours of early morning , when I am half awake, I have for many months heard what I thought was a distant alarm clock. I was beginning to think it was some kind of hallucination.

It was the n810 charger!

Thanks, Thanks for giving me the clue!

I now leave the little bugger unplugged when not charging the NIT.

$teve