Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
Unless this new cpu is much more power efficient (so much more power efficient as to account for the 3g radio consumption) I find it hard to belive it will last through the day with moderate use.
In fact, it is!

As a baseline, the OMAP3430 consumes about the same amount of power while active as the OMAP2420, but it has a number of powersaving advantages.

First, it's quite a bit faster (2-3x faster depending on the task) which means for the same task it's going to be spending much less time active and processing and a lot more time idle than the OMAP2420 (this is called Race to Idle). As idle usage consumes orders of magnitude less power than even 0.1% usage, this translates to noticeable and immediate power savings even if all other factors are equal (which they're not).

Second, idle power consumption has been improved significantly. The OMAP2420 uses nearly no power while idle (fanoush managed to get about 30 days of battery life at idle) but the OMAP3430 is even better, as it uses basically no power at idle. Although the difference seems small on a larger scale, the relative difference is large and with as much time as the device will spend in idle this means big power savings.

Finally, the software, too, has seen large improvements in powersaving. Both at the library and application level and at the kernel level. Fremantle on the OMAP3 is more intelligent about hardware power management and more careful in how in consumers power in the userspace than Diablo on OMAP2.

Unfortunately, most of these advantages are offset by the inclusion of additional hardware (accelerometers, cameras, LED flashes, GPU—although the smaller screen represents a major reduction in power consumption) and, in particular, the cellular radio. So in the end, the N900, I suspect, is going to have a much lower power consumption at the extreme low end of usage and a slightly higher one running full blast. The end result for the average user is probably going to be marginally worse battery life, on average, than OMAP2 devices with a potential for slightly better battery life depending on usage.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I think the battery life is not going to be good and the phone will be bashed in the main stream media for the abysmal battery life. I think that is one additional reason that this phone is just step 4 out of 5.

Anyway check this video. It starts at 8:45 am with 3 bars of battery and ends at 20:50 with just 1 bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HblSL0hG6Wg

Now we dont know how much the user used it in the 2.5 hours in between but definitely doesnt look good for the average consumer. Of course i will attach a battery holder to my keychain and carry the additional battery everywhere.
Took a while to understand why 2 bars in 12 hours would be abysmal. I guess you meant to write 10:50, not 20:50(8:50 pm)

Early to say much about the real world battery life of N900, but I sure am spoiled by my E71. I hope it can last at least a day of heavy use.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
Took a while to understand why 2 bars in 12 hours would be abysmal. I guess you meant to write 10:50, not 20:50(8:50 pm)

Early to say much about the real world battery life of N900, but I sure am spoiled by my E71. I hope it can last at least a day of heavy use.
Yeah that was a typo. Thanks for letting me know! Sounded so dumb when i read it before i made the correction!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@sachin: it's actually par for the course for cortex a8 level devices. both palm pre and iphone 3gs comes with 1200-1300mah battery (default) and they can drain their whole battery in about 4-5 hours if used intensively (multiple radio, high cpu\gpu usage apps). so I don't see the media bashing n800 on this aspect.

I think the battery life is not going to be good and the phone will be bashed in the main stream media for the abysmal battery life. I think that is one additional reason that this phone is just step 4 out of 5.

Anyway check this video. It starts at 8:45 am with 3 bars of battery and ends at 10:50 with just 1 bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HblSL0hG6Wg

Now we dont know how much the user used it in the 2.5 hours in between but definitely doesnt look good for the average consumer. Of course i will attach a battery holder to my keychain and carry the additional battery everywhere.
Yes and notice it is model "N00". Either is pre-prod prototype, or a clone of some sort. Either way it can be argued that it's not necessarily representative of what will be shipping. I, for one, don't plan on getting my panties in a wad regarding battery life until a real, actual, retail N900 device is put to the test...preferably by me

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to texaslabrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
Yes and notice it is model "N00". Either is pre-prod prototype, or a clone of some sort. Either way it can be argued that it's not necessarily representative of what will be shipping. I, for one, don't plan on getting my panties in a wad regarding battery life until a real, actual, retail N900 device is put to the test...preferably by me
agreed texas! it had to be some old prototype hence N00...Nokia puts N00 always on prototypes or phones which they are undecided what code number they will have (like for eg. N900), or don't want the public to know yet...so all in all, this unit had to be at least a month old or more...i think that in the end the battery life will be adequate and fine...

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
It is too early to draw any kind of conclusions from pre-production software and hardware. Basically.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@sachin: it's actually par for the course for cortex a8 level devices. both palm pre and iphone 3gs comes with 1200-1300mah battery (default) and they can drain their whole battery in about 4-5 hours if used intensively (multiple radio, high cpu\gpu usage apps). so I don't see the media bashing n800 on this aspect.
I am sure it will be bashed in the mainstream media not only because the battery life is less compared to other nokia phones but also because it is so perfect that it has very few things to bash about. I see the mainstream media(read apple loving US media) bashing its battery life and the lack of portrait mode, just because it has to be bashed in some way.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
I know a bunch of people who have an iPhone an none manage to make it last a full 24h, most cant get it to last till the afternoon. In fact, even when the thing is charging, it uses more energy then it takes in so it dies in the middle of a call.

Personally I can barely make my 5800 last 18h with email syncing and an a few hours of phone calls and some web browsing/twitter etc.. If the n900 works for 16-18h with my level of use, ill be content.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I am sure it will be bashed in the mainstream media not only because the battery life is less compared to other nokia phones but also because it is so perfect that it has very few things to bash about. I see the mainstream media(read apple loving US media) bashing its battery life and the lack of portrait mode, just because it has to be bashed in some way.
Alright. I see how you try to manage your expectations, you miserable miserable person :P

Tags
n900 battery, n900 v. power war, piss poor