Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
They still support X, don't they? It just happened that Android 4.4 became unusable for many apps. So indeed, I bought an XA2 and paid some money to Jolla, too. Works great, I'm happy with it. You could argue you deserved a discount, but I'm thinking: "Are they making enough money to keep on supporting new models for the community?"

I must say: threats from the outside are looming again. Can't use Android app c:geo anymore, probably Google Security Framework kicking in. I hope we can keep using the Android apps...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rob_kouw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nikos523 View Post
From their website:
“Sailfish X is currently available for Sony Xperia 10, Xperia 10 Plus, single and dual-SIM variants of XA2, Xperia XA2 Plus, Xperia XA2 Ultra, Xperia X, as well as Gemini PDA.”
there has to be some expectation that if you're going to market support for [a] device then Jo Public has a reasonable expectation of being able to buy [a] device and have it work, no?

Jo: "I bought an XA2, why the rhubab doesn't it work with Sailfish? I paid £250 for this!

SFOS-masterrace: "You bought the 4413, you dummy. SFOS only works on the dual-sim 4493."

Jo: I live in Spain, i've just checked and they don't sell the 4493 here. That model is only available from ebay importers, not in store..."

SFOS-masterrace: "Not my problem, fella. RTFM next time, eh?"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TMavica View Post
Next device should be Xperia 10 II, or Xperia 10 II Plus
i don't believe there is a plus this time around.

As a happy user of an XA2 Plus, very much looking forward to picking up an Xperia 10 ii on sale in Black Friday later this year.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
there has to be some expectation that if you're going to market support for [a] device then Jo Public has a reasonable expectation of being able to buy [a] device and have it work, no?

Jo: "I bought an XA2, why the rhubab doesn't it work with Sailfish? I paid £250 for this!

SFOS-masterrace: "You bought the 4413, you dummy. SFOS only works on the dual-sim 4493."

Jo: I live in Spain, i've just checked and they don't sell the 4493 here. That model is only available from ebay importers, not in store..."

SFOS-masterrace: "Not my problem, fella. RTFM next time, eh?"

Or they could talk again with Sony for example and sell some devices anywhere through their website, like dropshipping or something.

Anyway, my point is simple. How can you jump on the next device when you don’t even have everything working (and working good) on the previous one.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by N77 View Post
Jolla should have kept the support for Xperia X no matter what!
As already said: the X is still fully supported. As well as JollaC, Jolla1 and the tablet.

They can start supporting as many new devices they want. I dont care. But I payed 50 euro for android support on Xperia X and soon after that Jolla tells me: "sorry, get a new phone and pay us another 50 euro", which is ridiculous.
This was clear from the beginning and in fact for the X even cannot be forced by Jolla due to the kernel limitation afaik.
It was never said, nor expected by me, that we will ever see any android upgrade. (I do hope for it for the next X series and maybe XA2s but that is just ...)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by TMavica View Post
Next device should be Xperia 10 II, or Xperia 10 II Plus
If that is the only choice I need to stick with XA2 or bite the apple or switch elsewhere.
All companies have already recognized that not everybody likes to carry a tablet sized phone with him/her. And there are really nice and good "small" size phones out.
I am personally waiting for a liitle sister of Pro1 ......

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
This was clear from the beginning and in fact for the X even cannot be forced by Jolla due to the kernel limitation afaik.
It was never said, nor expected by me, that we will ever see any android upgrade. (I do hope for it for the next X series and maybe XA2s but that is just ...)
They were tentative at first with higher android version for the X, but after seeing that they would have to redo all the adaptation work, they said nothing will happen in this regard. Which is fair in my book as at start only a year of active support was promised.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peperjohnny For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 759 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Poland
Originally Posted by N77 View Post
In April Apple sold close to 1 million iPhone SE in China. If Sony could see the potential and come up with a compact device the size of X compact or XZ1 compact. Make the bezels as thin as possible while keeping front facing stereo speakers, use OLED, keep 3.5 jack. It will be the perfect sailfish device to use with one hand only.
Not exactly what you wrote but close. There is a community port to Xperia XZ2 Compact made by Rinigus. XZ2 Compact is really compact and nice device.
He even made compass work which Jolla can't do for Xperia 10 for a long time.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to atlochowski For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by atlochowski View Post
Not exactly what you wrote but close. There is a community port to Xperia XZ2 Compact made by Rinigus. XZ2 Compact is really compact and nice device.
I got excited for a moment having not heard of this before but this 'compact' is only slightly smaller than the Xperia X and, crucially, it has no headphone socket

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
I got excited for a moment having not heard of this before but this 'compact' is only slightly smaller than the Xperia X and, crucially, it has no headphone socket
It is not "slightly" smaller. It is significantly smaller.
Also X10 is easier to hold in hand than X. Round sides and almost 2mm less width.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x