Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Here's an official statement from Jolla:

Quote:
There is no intention to lock down the device and disallow tinkering and we'll seek to remedy this regression when possible.
[endquote]

See this link for details.
There will be an openmode that allows you to do whatever you like with your HARMATTAN device (OWTTE)
(actually eventually much much later that promise came true based on massive effort from community side, just it rendred the device pretty much useless due to the original OS getting locked down and not working as supposed anymore when that "open mode" got enabled. "Change device lock code" anybody?)

Everybody of the same guys doing Jolla now bashed me for being silly when I ranted about aegis being a terrible idea. X-Fade even stopped conversation with me completely from that very moment.
https://mg.pov.lt/maemo-irclog/%23ma...12-01T02:08:11

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-28 at 10:21.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
While I understand your concerns, I think this is a very different situation.

And remember, you can always go back to the older OS version that doesn't have this fix.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
While I understand your concerns, I think this is a very different situation.

And remember, you can always go back to the older OS version that doesn't have this fix.
AIUI you can't go back to *anything* once the device presents a "MALF" laughing at you. Or simply refuses to boot at all which is pretty much the same as a MALF. And just because selfdestruction not YET implemented doesn't mean you ever will get a way to recover from accidental destruction/damage to the system. And then you're back to what?

The difference between "you can't downgrade"(HARM) and "You can't flash at all"(Jolla) is marginal, with actually HARM being the less nasty concept here.

Sorry I'm out on this game, been there seen that.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
I'm not sure what you mean.

You can do a factory reset which will restore the device to the version if came from the factory.

See here for details:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...nt-afterwards/

Last edited by Venemo; 2013-12-28 at 12:22.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Germany
I'm not sure what mean.

You can do a factory reset which will restore the device to the version if came from the factory.

See here for details:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...nt-afterwards/
It will just reset the / partition. There is no mention of reflashing the bootloader (aboot partition)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djselbeck For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Well, there's some thing that should be doable, really. Stskeeps did say previously;
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
* The bootloader of the Jolla is 'little kernel' ("lk") which speaks the typical Android fastboot protocol, which has a open source flasher.
So, if the boot loader is a linuxy bit, then it has to be open. Methinks I'll go and attempt to make my own bootloader, and include there an option to set up public-key ssh login for a maintanance mode, like I have on ubiboot. That should settle it, right?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
No it has nothing to do with linux kernel. It is a small micro OS. Also I doubt that you can easily build your own lk. It has to be adapted to the jolla smartphone.

You can try it by reviewing the hardware adaption of linux kernel and try to adapt them to the LK bootloader. But this is very risky and not worth the risk.

Hope there will some open device soon which perhaps run mer/nemo/glaicer.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to djselbeck For This Useful Post:
I blame Qualcomm for not allowing Jolla to distribute a proper image so that anyone can flash if the device is broken. I'd be happy to swap boot partitions (or any partition for that matter) if I had the ability to flash.

I sympathise with folks who want to get off ship now for economical reasons and maybe come back later if Jolla provides with better options.

I hope we get more competition in the SoC space so that we get better things. Somebody mentioned that perhaps Intel+open drivers will bring some happiness. Perhaps. Who knows.

I'll keep my Jolla for now, even if it isn't my main phone yet.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by djselbeck View Post
I'll repeat myself, maybe you'll read me this time:

Jolla has acknowledged that this is a bug and that this break was not intentional - they also officially said that they're working on fixing it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
I may keep my device also because I don't want to loose money. But my top priority is porting nemo/glacier on it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djselbeck For This Useful Post: