Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
chengliangchen, can you please make a summary at the OP? I can see that some community device is being worked on (?), but anything else is still cryptic to me. And I don't have time to read whole 13 pages.
In short, I will build a landscape slider keyboard for Moto Z series, about to launch a campaign on IGG.

If this is successful then will consider doing an all in one slider.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Great. But you are aware that those two are slightly different and if you make a mod that perfectly fits Play than it will be slightly bigger on Z? And I like the fitting more on the regular Z.
Stupid Lenovo. What's the point of making two differently sized phones for the same mods
The back will be the same. There is no difference.

It's just attaching to the back, thickness of device itself doesn't matter. (well only difference is Z Play will be overall chunkier)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
In short, I will build a landscape slider keyboard for Moto Z series, about to launch a campaign on IGG.

If this is successful then will consider doing an all in one slider.
What will it run? Fremantle, SFOS, Devuan?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 78 times | Joined on Sep 2016 @ Finland
Some quick heads up for the concern of size of device, I changed the layout slightly, mainly moved the alphabet to the right and removed some useless keys, now it all looks better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ig9z3ib3ihh1w6a/0223.PNG?dl=0
I really like that this one is better (symmetrical). However I would still consider "splitting" the keyboard. I mean something like this:

Like I previously pointed out it might be hard to reach the middle buttons. That is why recommend "splitted" layout. I just edited that quickly so don't mind the buttons orders so much. I believe that you got the idea. It is just my opinion .

How about doing a "maemo" special version with "Maemo" logo printed at the back?
Not bad idea at all. I believe that it could be extra perk in Indiegogo?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
One of the biggest comfort issues with TOHKBD was the weight of the phone compared to the keyboard half (after using it for a while, the weight of the phone part put quite a lot of strain on my thumbs when holding onto the keyboard part).

Any idea how heavy the keyboard part will be compared to the phone, since this will affect the balance (heavier kbd is better in this instance).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
What will it run? Fremantle, SFOS, Devuan?
This has been discussed already - it will run Android, and whatever OS people choose to port to the phone.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Any idea how heavy the keyboard part will be compared to the phone, since this will affect the balance (heavier kbd is better in this instance).
Well, Chen said it will have some sort of extra batterypack / powerbank included. (right?)
This will surely add some weight compared to TOHKBD.

Last edited by mosen; 2017-02-24 at 14:58.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
I think it is an unwise decision to have the camera obscured by the mod. If it is intended for people to have the mod on most of the time and then remove it if they want to take a picture will create problems as to what they do with it. I take off style shells to use the car dock and use the other mods and the question is always "where to put them".

Is it your intention to have the mod be used while standing up or will it be used when it is resting on a surface, like a table or your lap? I would hate for the mod to come off from typing too hard but the magnets are really strong and that is less of a problem than it might seem.

Your mod seems more traditional than the other keyboard mod in the challenge and if you are a finalist then I am sure motorola will help you with your design as they have already built a slide out keyboard with battery but it was internal use only. Moto Mod concept to product

For those who are ambitious, why not create a "sailfish mod" where you slap on a processor and have it run an app that launches sailfish and it can access many of the resources of the phone?

Anyhow, good luck and I can't wait to see your product and will probably buy it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Well, Chen said it will have some sort of extra batterypack / powerbank included. (right?)
This will surely add some weight compared to TOHKBD.
Regarding battery, there are 2 sides of direction:

- Not having additional battery at all, to keep the mod as thin as possible. (Won't be too thin, as certain depth is required to keep the keyboard comfortable.) And simplify structure.

- Adding additional battery, which will obviously chunkier. However, if the base (Mod) is chunky enough, the engineer can add 2 hinges on the sliding part and user will be able to lift the screen up. Similar design as HTC Touch Pro 2. I love this function, but with the top part a whole device, the base has to be heavy and thick to support. Which means... chunky overall... And may not be appeal to general public......

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
I think it is an unwise decision to have the camera obscured by the mod. If it is intended for people to have the mod on most of the time and then remove it if they want to take a picture will create problems as to what they do with it. I take off style shells to use the car dock and use the other mods and the question is always "where to put them".

Is it your intention to have the mod be used while standing up or will it be used when it is resting on a surface, like a table or your lap? I would hate for the mod to come off from typing too hard but the magnets are really strong and that is less of a problem than it might seem.

Your mod seems more traditional than the other keyboard mod in the challenge and if you are a finalist then I am sure motorola will help you with your design as they have already built a slide out keyboard with battery but it was internal use only. Moto Mod concept to product

For those who are ambitious, why not create a "sailfish mod" where you slap on a processor and have it run an app that launches sailfish and it can access many of the resources of the phone?

Anyhow, good luck and I can't wait to see your product and will probably buy it.
A lot talk was concering the camera hole when the slider is closed. Proposed solution is:

Make a hole on keyboard, which will make the mod looks ugly, and put unecessary pressure on right thumb and uncomfortable. Why having a keyboard which is uncomfortable for typing, rather than not having a mod at all?

Or making a portrait slider keyboard. Which is not the intention, I'm using a BB priv and the keyboard is awful. Plus if you want a vericle slider you can get a priv.

I personally won't mind opening slider to take pics. This is unfortunately the sacrifice to have comfort typing experience.

I am aware that Lenovo has build this before, however if it is a really good product why they did not release it? In fact there is even no pics. I highly doubt if they made it in a commercial level.

I'm partnering with some of the best designer/engineers in industry. Frankly speaking it's not an esy task, lot of moving parts that can easily go wrong. But the challenge makes success.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2017-02-24 at 20:42.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
crowdfunding, hwkbd, tainted love